Corticosteroid and post RNY

BrendaNNC
on 2/5/14 8:20 am - Raleigh, NC

My PCP sugested that I take Pulmicort 180 MCG inhaler (it's a corticosteroid).  Is it safe to take since I've had gastric bypass surger?  (Dec. 2009) 

poet_kelly
on 2/5/14 8:41 am - OH

Most bariatric surgeons say steroids are ok and the ASBMS doesn't recommend against them.  It's NSAIDS that we are generally told to avoid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dorkgirl_41
on 2/5/14 12:56 pm, edited 2/5/14 12:56 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

My  bariatric team said I could continue on  my Dulera. I would think you would be fine, but you can always check with the office where you had your surgery.

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/5/14 11:01 pm

Steroids use should never be taken lightly. If you need it - you need it.. But liker with everything else - there are possible side effects.  Any use of steroids can affect your own endocrine system, creating new isdues.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BrendaNNC
on 2/7/14 9:01 am - Raleigh, NC

Thank you for your information. 

Patm
on 2/5/14 11:05 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

A study my son was in showed that inhaled steriods had little effect on the rest of the body.

BrendaNNC
on 2/7/14 9:00 am - Raleigh, NC

Thanks for this information.

Most Active