How do you...

Sandie E.
on 2/2/14 2:52 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

How do you explain to your children the journey we are all about to be on? I have a 15 year old, 7 year old, and 4 year old. I haven't really told them what is going on but I feel it is a conversation we need to have. I have my consult and seminar Tuesday 2/4 and after that it's on the way so I wanted to make sure to communicate somehow the changes and appts and such. I know it will have to be adjusted for each of them due to their ages, but anyone have any advice?  Not telling them or lying is not an option for me. 

poet_kelly
on 2/2/14 3:26 am - OH

I would tell the 7 and 4 year olds that you are going to have an operation on your tummy to make you healthy.  I would tell them that after the operation you'll have to eat special food for a little while and your tummy won't hold a lot of food, but soon you'll feel a lot better and it will be easier for you to play with them and stuff.

I'd give the 15 year old more info, of course.  I'd stress that it's about getting healthy, not being skinny.  The 15 year old might be worried about the risks of surgery, and if so, I'd explain that your surgeon has done lots and lots of these operations and is very good at it, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sandie E.
on 2/2/14 5:30 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

That's great! Thank You! 

poet_kelly
on 2/2/14 5:33 am - OH

If they ask questions then I'd answer them truthfully but not giving more information than they ask for.  The little ones are probably going to be concerned about things like who will be taking care of them when you're in the hospital and if you have to eat strange food for a while, will they have to eat it too? 

If the 15-year-old wants to know a lot, you can offer to take them to an appt with your surgeon with you or to a support group meeting with you.  If they don't wanna know a lot, that's Ok, too.

But kids mostly care about how things are going to affect them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active