Lets Talk Suppliments!

dancermom2_7
on 1/31/14 6:49 am - OH

The title says it all, I wanna know what kind of suppliments you are taking post op!? Why are you taking those ones? Dr Rec? Personal preference? Chewable vs whole pills? Whats your thoughts?!?!?! I would love to know!

S~

HW 276 GW140  CW248

southernlady5464
on 1/31/14 7:58 am

I use the ones recommended by Vitalady. I tweak based on my own personal labs.

NOT recommended by my surgeon, he has his own line he sells and if I used his, I would be in a world of hurt.

Why I take them, https://vitalady.com/about-vitalady-michelle-curran/

Michelle followed the recommendations of her surgeon, Dr. S. R. Fox, regarding recommended supplementation. Searching for the proper vitamins and minerals at a time when the internet was in its infancy was a challenge. As she found the appropriate source for supplements, others surgery patients asked her to order for them. She got the nickname of Vitalady, and thus the seeds of her new company were planted.

Michelle went far beyond merely following his advice, however. She began researching and studying. She has investigated all facets of nutrition after surgery. The range of her studies  included the function of the gastro-intestional system both before and after surgery, where various elements are absorbed, the deficiencies associated with inadequate supplementation, and which forms of vitamins and minerals are best absorbed by post op patients. As she learned new information, she adjusted her own vitamin regime, and that of her husband Don (Vitaguy) who had the surgery just one year after she did.

As more and more people had weight loss surgery and heard of the amazing Vitalady, Michelle and Don decided it was time to actually formalize their business. Her first venture into ecommerce was in 1998, when her first website was launched.

Whole pils...

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poet_kelly
on 1/31/14 8:47 am - OH

I take what is recommended by the American Society for  Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, plus additional supplements as indicated by  my labs.  I swallow pills.  They are cheaper than chewables and don't add a lot of extra calories to my day.

I take a multi twice a day, 1500 mg calcium citrate (in three doses of 500 mg each) a day, 300 mg iron (carbonyl iron) with 2000 mg vitamin C a day.  I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week, 25,000 IU vitamin A three times a week, and 50 mg zinc twice a week.  I do B12 shots (1000 mcg subcutaneously) every other week.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dancermom2_7
on 1/31/14 10:13 am - OH

Kelly thanks for responding just curious why are you doing B12 injections? I did these prior to my hyster... but not since.. loved them .. the energy I had! Just wondering if there was any reason?

To the p/poster.. thanks for your reply as well.. I will def. look into the info

as far as the suppliments my dr rec. baratric fusion complete nutrion. they are chewable not bad.. but I love viafusion... just wondering any other opinons?

S~

HW 276 GW140  CW248

poet_kelly
on 1/31/14 10:18 am - OH

Well, RNY patients need to take B12 in a sublingual, shot, or nasal spray, because we don't have enough intrinsic factor in our pouch to absorb B12 in pills that we swallow (or chewable pills) or food we eat.  I didn't like the taste of the sublinguals I tried, plus it's more convenient to me to just do a shot every other week instead of a subligual every day or every other day.  And the shots are much cheaper than the nasal spray.

If you had RNY, you'd need to take eight of the Bariatric Fusion a day in order to get the 200% of the RDA of things the ASMBS says we need.  You'd still need B12 in a sublingual, shot or nasal spray.  In order to absorb the  iron in the Bariatric Fusion, you'd also have to take only one tablet at a time and wait at least two hours before taking the next.  If you take two of them at the same time, the amount of calcium will block the iron from being absorbed.  That seems inconvenient to me to have to take eight pills each two hours apart all day long but if it works for you, then that's fine

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/31/14 7:33 pm, edited 1/31/14 7:33 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

My doc said I could start with any multi right after surgery, so I kept taking my one-a-day that I've taken for years. I got my labs back a few days ago and everything looked good though I need more B12, so I picked up a bottle of those.

I had to split the multi's right after surgery, but otherwise I just swallow everything whole. I have a bunch of other pills to take at bedtime, so I just add those to the mix... Before surgery I would do all ~10 at once... But that's a bit much now, lol!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 2/1/14 1:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It depends o the procedure.  LabBand and VSG have no metabolic changes in their bodies, so they will need a basic multi and maybe some calcium..basic normie stuff.  RNY and DS. on the other hand, require much more supplementation to counteract what their bodies no longer absorb.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Deborah B.
on 2/1/14 3:17 am, edited 2/1/14 3:22 am

Bariatric Advantage B-12 sublingual are the vitamins I just started on about five days ago. They are recomended by Reeger Cortell, FNP-C who works in the bariatric field. She has a Podcast called "Weight Loss Surgery". I find it interesting and helpful. Here's a link if you are interested: http://www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com/about-2/  and more about her here: http://onelovefornurses.com/24/  

I'm waiting to see how these work, if I can tell, and maybe get the sublingual iron and multi-vitam too. :) 
Almost forgot, they are available on Amazon. 

poet_kelly
on 2/1/14 3:36 am - OH

They make sublingual iron and multivitamins?  I've never heard of those.  I wonder why they would be sublingual?  The reason some people, including RNY patients, need sublingual B12 is because we don't have enough intrinsic factor in our pouch to absorb a B12 supplement that we swallow (whether we swallow it whole or it's a chewable).  That's not an issue for iron or the other vitamins and minerals in a multi, though.  There would be no reason those would need to be sublingual.

Most Active