Starting my journey

Mimi2Konnor
on 1/10/14 12:24 pm
RNY on 06/03/14

I have been reading on here for several weeks, and have posted a few times.  I was always of average weight until my first pregnancy where I gained about 50 lbs, and then my second pregnancy about 2 years later where I gained another 30 pounds.  I've continued to gain at a slow but stead pace since then, and now that my "babies" are in their mid-20's I find myself suffering from the years of abuse I have put my body through by carrying all this excess weight.   I am not alone in my journey as my DH also suffers from being overweight.  We both have a BMI in the 50's and have determined that this is our year for WLS.  We have been making changes in our eating habits over the past 1-2 years and we strive to eat healthy one day at a time.  

We went to an informational seminar that our surgeon requires before your initial consultation and I was very impressed with the surgeon and his staff.  We filled out all the required paperwork and now are waiting to hear back for an appointment date.  From what we learned about the different types of surgeries available, we are both leaning toward RNY, but will make a final decision after talking to the surgeon.  I have so many questions, but I also feel very excited to get things started in the right direction.  From what I've been reading a big part of the journey is your mental attitude and I am hoping to keep a positive outlook as I find out what all my insurance requires in order for me to have WLS!  How long did you have to wait before having surgery?  I know my insurance requires 3 month doctor monitored diet - - which I started in December.   I'm hoping I can have my surgery by May at the latest.  

MsBatt
on 1/10/14 1:37 pm

With BMIs in the 50s, I really hope you'll also research the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the best at resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol. Here's a link to a study comparing the DS and the RNY:http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/09/1 7/comparison-of-obesity-surgeries-turns-up-surprising-result s

AnneGG
on 1/10/14 7:20 pm, edited 1/10/14 10:22 pm

Please make sure you consult a Bariatric surgeon and attend info sessions as the main part of your research. 

You're going to find all sorts of passionate positions here as to the best type of surgery to get. But all you can get here is personal opinion and experience, which can be useful but is not sufficient nor professionally informed. We are none of us Bariatric surgeons and you should take that into consideration, and use your surgical consult as the basis on which to make your choice.  

All of the types of surgery have their benefits and disadvantages- there is no perfect weight loss surgery. They also have differing levels of extensiveness and risk. They have differing levels of possibility of complications. Also, everyone is built differently and has different needs one from the other, so the type of surgery you choose will depend on that.  

You have to live with whatever your choice is. There is no right answer, no magic surgery that is going to handle things forever. The body changes are permanent and irreversible with the sleeve, the RNY, and the DS. Some of the surgeries can be reversed or revised, but the damage and scarring will always be there. There is the possibility of complications both immediate and long term.

Any weight loss surgery is only good if you work it- it requires tremendous changes of habit and daily attention with managing it- diet, exercise, daily vitamins every single day, no vacations. It takes the weight off; maintaining the weight loss will be up to you. Habits simply have to change in order for any weight loss surgery to be effective over the long haul. I hear that you and your husband are already starting to do that.

The gift of WLS is the weight loss.

Then comes maintenance which I assure you is no walk in the park- for me it is as hard as dealing pre-op was. That is also forever. Plus all of the surgeries can be and often are sabotaged with subsequent regain.  

So with all that said, am I grateful for my RNY now 3 ½ years ago? You better believe it! I was ready for the changes I would have to do. I lost and have kept off half my former body weight. My health is so much better. I manage myself well and I eat right and exercise regularly. I am entirely happy living in my shoes these days.  

So again, please make sure you consult a Bariatric surgeon and attend info sessions as the main part of your research. I would also suggest looking into as many different sources of information as you find including books, internet, and support groups, as well as reading the different forums here. You can also keep posting with your questions.  

Plus you will be doing it with your husband which will provide mutual support and working it together- that is a very good thing.  

Have a rewarding, life changing journey! I don't think you will regret it.  

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active