Overwhelmed

Cnote252
on 12/30/13 12:33 pm

I began my weight loss journey Nov. 4, when I attended a Bariatric seminar! After those two hours of listening to the surgeon explain, in detail,  the risk and benefits of weight loss surgery, I knew I was ready to change my life. I have been overweight most of my life except from grade 6 to grade 12. Not sure how I lost weight and kept it off for those years, but it come back and has never left. Sure I would be on many diets from then until now, losing weight and then regaining. Very frustrating, disappointing and depressing!  I Had been thinking about surgery for a number of years before now. But I have finally gotten up the courage to start the journey! I have heard only success stories.  My insurance requires three dietician visits and a psychologist visit. I need one more dietician visit. So far it is very overwhelming! What I need to do before, what I need to do afterwards. I don't want to fail! The protein, the vitamins and supplements. How has everyone followed and kept up with what they need to do and eat and not eat! I have a binder with all the info but it is so thick it seems overwhelming! Any suggestions and pointers will be greatly appreciated! I don't have a surgery date yet but I'm hoping to have one around the middle of February. I've been to a support group and that was helpful, now joining this forum, I'm hoping this will be just as helpful. Thanks for any helpful tips!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/30/13 11:54 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

First just wanted to say good luck and just breathe. Everyone's journey is unique. You have to find what works for you. Many go hard core with low carb. Others go for moderation. I am in the moderation camp. I believe in balance. Some can't moderate themselves so they just go hardcore. I would suggest you look up the world according to eggface. She is an active person on here and shares wonderful recipes for all stages of the surgery. Now supplements depend on type of surgery and what you labs say. If run well a support group can be awesome. I would say also go the forum specific to the surgery you want and talk to people there or just lurk and get information.

Cnote252
on 1/1/14 5:02 am

Thank you for the encouragement! Definitely will continue to go to the RNY forum! 

carolann

SandieMc49
on 12/31/13 1:17 am
On December 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM Pacific Time, Cnote252 wrote:

I began my weight loss journey Nov. 4, when I attended a Bariatric seminar! After those two hours of listening to the surgeon explain, in detail,  the risk and benefits of weight loss surgery, I knew I was ready to change my life. I have been overweight most of my life except from grade 6 to grade 12. Not sure how I lost weight and kept it off for those years, but it come back and has never left. Sure I would be on many diets from then until now, losing weight and then regaining. Very frustrating, disappointing and depressing!  I Had been thinking about surgery for a number of years before now. But I have finally gotten up the courage to start the journey! I have heard only success stories.  My insurance requires three dietician visits and a psychologist visit. I need one more dietician visit. So far it is very overwhelming! What I need to do before, what I need to do afterwards. I don't want to fail! The protein, the vitamins and supplements. How has everyone followed and kept up with what they need to do and eat and not eat! I have a binder with all the info but it is so thick it seems overwhelming! Any suggestions and pointers will be greatly appreciated! I don't have a surgery date yet but I'm hoping to have one around the middle of February. I've been to a support group and that was helpful, now joining this forum, I'm hoping this will be just as helpful. Thanks for any helpful tips!

I think my strongest "core" belief is that we need to explore our previous eating habits; especially to discover and deal with our past relationships with food.  Besides nourishing us, food was probably a way of coping for the majority of us.  If you can align with an EDO therapist - I'm telling you - you can't go wrong!

My second "core" belief is to throw guilt out the window.  I remember having the "oh well, I had two potato chips, I might as well eat the whole bag" mentality.  That's just hog wash!  I remember spending a lot of time feeling like a failure.  Nope, not anymore my friend, not any more.

My third "core" belief is that I can have anything I want!  (well, that's not entirely true, because there are some food I can't tolerate).  BUT, if I want a chocolate chip cookie - then I dayum well have one (then I refer to my "second" core belief!)

What's different? - the difference is that I can stop with one cookie.  I can leave a plate with food on it and be perfectly fine with not finishing the entire thing. 

My "fourth" core belief is a consistent exercise program.  Wow, a good workout does wonders for the mind and body.  And having a routine goes hand in hand with setting up your life in the way that will work for you; again consistency.  Find an exercise you enjoy.  I have my routine and it's funny - when something comes along that interferes with me going to my gym class - I'm not happy - even if the reason is a good one - I want my gym time!

So, before you deal with 2-4, remember to really really take care of Core 1.  It's key in my opinion!

Sandie

Cnote252
on 12/31/13 7:40 am

Thank you Sandie! Do you mind if I borrow these?:)

SandieMc49
on 1/1/14 8:28 pm

Please do!

bus377
on 12/31/13 1:18 am - TX

all I can say is I did the same thing. Gathered a ton of stuff was ready, (not) nothing could prepare me for this journey. It is special and different for everyone. Depending on the hospital and Dr. can make all the difference in the world. Just go for it you are ready and will never be a better time than now. Please don't believe every bariatric surgery is a success. Because the surgeon can only do the surgery, the patient must be dedicated to the success. I know of several who have had the surgery done in many forms from drastic gut cut, stapling, sleeve, to banding. It just depends on the person. you will ALWAYS need to monitor your food intake. No matter what kind of surgery you have. you will hear horror stories but if you knew the truth it will wind up being personal fault not the surgery. Example: two girls have same surgery same day. One is now half the weight she use to be. The other has lost half the weight gained it back plus added a few lbs. all within two years. Dr. fault ? Surgery Fault? nope personal fault. girl #2 started out sharing a food plate with husband then said he complained she ate his food. So she started ordering her own plate saying I just take it home for latter. Then it got to where well there isn't enough to bother with taking home. see how that works. just because you are offered donuts doesn't mean you have to eat them..hope I helped never know if my straight forwardness is taken as given. Take what you need leave the rest LOL! Greatest of Luck to you.

Cnote252
on 12/31/13 7:42 am

I have heard a few horror stories but the majority have been positive! I know I'm ready! Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Mary Gee
on 12/31/13 4:51 am

I'm in the pre-op stage too, and anticipate having surgery in March.  My hospital has lots of requirements.  I've learned so much by joining this site -- loads of information here.  When I first came, I was planning on having RNY - but now I'm leaning toward the sleeve because of medications I'm on.  

I visit the Daily Discussion board, the RNY board and the VSG board every day to read what people are saying about their surgery and post-op eating.  I also go to theworldaccordingtoeggface . com -- I've got that site bookmarked.  There you can read about Michelle's story and post-op strategies and loads and loads of recipes.

Just keep reading and learning, and you'll feel a lot more comfortable about things.  Don't let yourself get overwhelmed.

Good luck to you.  

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Cnote252
on 12/31/13 7:44 am

I am definitely having the RNY. I will check out that site too. Thank you so much!

Most Active