Nervous & Scared

Boekie13
on 12/16/13 6:25 am, edited 12/16/13 7:50 am

Hi everyone,

I'm going for my pre op consultation tomorrow at Kaiser in West LA.  I don't have a surgery date yet, but I can sense that panic feeling sinking in.

I do have the support of my mother and step father, both had the Roux-en-Y, but I'm scared that

there might be some complications. The thought of not making it out of the operating room is just looming over me. So my question is for those of you

who've had the surgery. How did you deal with the idea of not making it out of surgery? Did it even cross your mind?

Thanks.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/16/13 7:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I definitely had that thought, and I was quite worried about it-- not so much about me being gone, but about how it would affect my family members and how they would cope with it.

I didn't have to worry about making religious plans (I'm an atheist) but I did end up writing down a list of "just in case" instructions for if something went bad: what I wanted done with my body, who to contact about life insurance, notes about a memorial, etc.

I made it through anesthesia OK but I did have a bit of a scary hiccup-- once they "hit the button" to put me under, my heart slowed WAY down and almost stopped, so they had to give me something to get my heart going again before they could start surgery. Then it took me much longer than normal to come out of the anesthesia; I was only supposed to be in recovery for about half an hour, but I was in for over two hours. There's a risk for everybody, though generally it's quite safe, and it's a good idea to take lots of questions for your surgeon and anesthesiologist in advance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Boekie13
on 12/16/13 7:58 am

Sparklekitty,

Writing down a "just in case" list is a great idea.

Your experience does sound scary, but I'm glad to hear that everything turned out okay/

Eggface
on 12/16/13 7:45 am, edited 12/16/13 9:50 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Absolutely. I ran every "what if" scenario in my head. Thankfully none of which happened. Like most worry it was needless... I had zero complications. It's normal to worry and complications can happen but realistically the rate of death from RNY is inline with most ANY surgery. Pretty darn low. The complication rates are low as well... and most complications can be easily resolved (strictures, ulcers, etc.)

I figured I was a ticking time bomb of health issues. I was gaining weight each year... meaning my health issues would probably only get worse. I chose a surgeon I had faith in, asked a lot of questions, made a promise to follow instructions to a T, said a little prayer and went for it. All was well and still well after 7 1/2 years. I hope you will have a similar experience.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Boekie13
on 12/16/13 7:56 am

Shelly you make a great point. My health issues were very bad, but have been getting better with my weight loss, so I know the surgery will help even more. And I know that it's also another great reason to have the surgery. I'll try my best to remember your advice as I approach my surgery date. Thank you for your comforting words.

CarriMcA
on 1/11/14 8:37 am

I thought I was not going to make it through right up until they put me under. I kept thinking about how much time I would have to live if I did not have the surgery, and what that was going to be like for me (examples losing limbs, heart attacks, back pain, losing mobility, kidney failure, dialysis). Praying with the chaplain was helpful. Trying to be tough helped, but I was scared! I think the whole going under part was the scariest, not the actual surgery. But, I woke up and made it through.It was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Knowing they hospital would do whatever they could to bring you back was helpful. 

Most Active