Newbie Alert! Help me out!

BigTMoe
on 10/6/13 5:26 am
I've just been approved for surgery- RNY on November 7th and I'm excited, scared, and everything in between! I feel like I don't know what I'm doing and I need all the advice I can get. All I know right now is that I don't need to do anything before surgery except keep trying to eat right and keep exercising. No pre-op diet or anything. Afterwards, they have said clear liquids for two weeks, and I know I need 60g protein per day and 80oz water daily as well as the b12 shots monthly and daily chewable vitamins. Other than that-- I am lost!
Please help me out--- I don't know what to expect after surgery...are they going to tell me more when I get there? What things can I drink for clear liquids, and do I need the protein during these first two weeks? How does that work because protein powder isn't clear liquid?
I'm having some anxiety about this while thing-- I've wanted this for so long but now I'm scared out of my mind! What did I get myself into and is it normal to have second thoughts?
Missella20
on 10/6/13 9:46 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Do you have a class to attend before surgery? I did and all of these questions were answered there. I don't know about your bariatric center, but for mine I had to drink liquids for 7 days post op. Clear liquids with no sugar....water, broth, crystal light sugar free Popsicles, Gatorade (sugar free). That's about it. Then after that 7 days I added protein shakes and continued the water. Then full liquids for 2 weeks, puréed foods for 2 weeks, soft foods for 2 weeks. I am sure you will get a list of food items and when to start adding them. Call your office and ask!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/6/13 10:24 am - OH

Your surgeons's office should provide you with a complete post-op diet plan to follow.  Most surgeons have an educational session that you go to where they go over what to expect post-op, the food plan you are supposed to follow, what vitamins you need, etc.. and give you a binder with that kind of information.

Many surgeons permit the RTD flavored protein waters or the Syntrax Nectar fruit protein powders(which are more like Crystal Light than a milkshake) during the clear liquids phase.

Also, you do not have to get B12 injections.  You can use sublingual tablets instead.  They are available very cheaply.  I use the Twinlabs "dots", which are kind of berry flavored, very small, and dissolve in less than a minute.  A bottle of 60 "dots", which are 5000mcg each, is about $12, and if you only need one a week (which would be the equivalent of 20,000 units per month in an injection), that one bottle will last an entire year!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Member Services
on 10/6/13 10:35 am - Irvine, CA

It is very natural to be nervous before surgery.  You are not alone.  Try to focus on the reasons you had for beginning this journey.

Here is some information for you as you prepare for your surgery:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

Best wishes.

daisy142
on 10/6/13 12:55 pm - TX
Hey there. Congrats on your surgery. Mine is on the 7th as well!!
Each surgeon is different I their post op plan and yours should give you information on what your diet should be.
Mine is post op 7- 14 days of clear liquids - sugar free, non carbonated and low sugar (crystal light) liquids with chicken, vegetable or beef broth once a day or a zero calorie sports drink everyday. The I move to super soft foods. My surgeon does not recommend adding any protein powders during the first 7 - 14 days and recommends I get my protein from food when I start the soft food stage. I am going to talk to my surgeon to double check everything when I go for my pre-op appt on Oct. 30th.
Call your surgeons office and talk to them to see if they have a packet they can email you or you can pick up with all your post-op diet, vitamin, etc info.

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/13 1:13 pm, edited 10/6/13 1:15 pm - guizhou, XX

Having a strong core will prevent injuries trx for sale, improve posture and increase overall strength. All of our movements are powered by the torso – the abs and back work together to support the spine during everyday activities and exercise.
The trx for sale FORCE Kit builds and maintains peak operational readiness with a comprehensive program developed to meet the demands of the military elite.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 10/6/13 8:07 pm - Burleson, TX

BIG T MOE..soon to be NOT-so BIG T MOE-Congrats on taking charge of your future and your health! I totally agree with ****RO GIRL-read her response many times-she is very, very wise.

Use this short time, before your surgery to get your house in order, and get your questions answered. Don't wait until you get home..feel horrible...don't know what you are supposed to put in your mouth...open the pantry door....and all you see are Doritos and pasta...Don't laugh...We have seen it happen, here, more times than you can imagine...

Like another responser said, your physician's program SHOULD give you some sort of "aftercare instructions/guidelines". If they don't -ASK-AHEAD of time. Also see if they have a support group...

Knowledge is power, as the saying goes, and I think that is NEVER more true than when it comes to taking care of OURSELVES, and being our own best SELF ADVOCATES..

We are here for you, for any questions you may have. It will be a wild, wonderful ride. Hang on to your socks!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Frostbite25
on 10/7/13 1:33 am
You should be provided with post op instructions. I didn't have the RNY I had the duodenal switch so I can't give you advice on your surgery. However, going to the RNY forums and starting to read posts from the last page will be greatly healpful. You would be surprised how many questions you can have answered.

Good luck!

WLS: Total lost 260 lbs - 03/14/11 Duodenal Switch with Dr. Mitchel Roslin
PS: 02/10/14 LBL w/ Anchor cut, Long Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Breast Lift with Dr. Francisco Sauceda

Dr. Sauceda's Patient Group - Click here to Join

MsBatt
on 10/7/13 4:36 pm

With a BMI of 75, you really should consider the Duodenal Switch. It has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. (And it's got the best post-op 'diet', too! *grin*)

Most Active