reconstructive removal of excess skin

welch98
on 9/23/13 5:45 am - Cibolo, TX

has anyone gotten their insurance to pay for excess skin removal by calling it reconstructive? just wondering. I have paid my deductible for the year and if i had surgery it would be covered at 100%.

Member Services
on 9/23/13 7:00 am - Irvine, CA

If you have not done so, please post this on our Plastic Surgery Forum  

Mark W.
on 9/23/13 8:14 am - belle plaine, MN

I've looked into it every way to Sunday and I haven't seen a way under normal conditions. For me, I have been advised being as they also need to do a hernia repair, that possibly some of it could be covered but have been told that ALL of the plastic surgeons bill would not be. I wish you the very best of luck and oh btw, when they did my surgery 2 weeks ago, my surgeon repaired my hernia so that option is no longer on the table for me.

Good luck!

JenniPenny
on 9/23/13 10:56 am - MN

If you can prove that your excess skin needs to be removed for "medical reasons" then insurance can be used to cover it. I know many post ops who have had panni procedures to remove excess abdominal skin because of rashes, problems with their bladders, hinderance of moving their legs if it hangs down far enough, etc. I had one post op friend who had her arms done because the rashes and open sores were so terrible and required constant medical attention with bleeding and recurring infections.Arms are hard to get covered though. You can sometimes get excess skin removed if there is a medical reason. Go to the doc every time you getan infection, make note of the prescription given, that it's caused by overhanging skin, etc.My surgery angel was able to get the excess skin on her stomach and abdoman removed as it pulled so much towards the front it threw her back iinto an unnatural curve causing constant back pain. Check with plastic surgeons in your area - there are those that work with post op WLS patients and they can give you the best information. they will work with your insurance and your doctor. It would be great to get skin removal covered by insurance so see if this is something you can get done by the end of the year.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNY

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/13 12:38 pm

Do you really think it is right to have medical insurance pay for cosmetics?

mkvand
on 9/23/13 7:09 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Once the skin starts suffering frequent infections and impairs movement, it's no longer cosmetic.  That's why insurance will only pay if you can prove the loose skin is causing other medical problems.

welch98
on 9/25/13 1:07 pm - Cibolo, TX

I'm not asking for a cosmetic change. I have a medical reason.

Laura in Texas
on 9/23/13 10:05 pm

This completely depends on your insurance company. Some cover a panni quite easily, others will never cover it no matter how many infections you may get. Call and ask.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SandieMc49
on 9/24/13 5:39 am

I had a panniculectomy paid for by insurance.  I had documented treatment for rashes and pictures to go with it when the rash was at its worse.  I chose not to pay extra money to have the upper portion tightened.  It wasn't that much of an issue for me medically or mentally.  BUT, I do work out consistently at the gym.  Exercise won't change the loose skin, but it will tighten up the muscles and give you a better appearance.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/13 4:04 am

They covered the front part of my lower body lift and now I am seeing if insurance will cover my inner thighs next. I paid out of pocket for my arms and boobs.

Most Active