RNY to Sleeve Revision Question

WannaWeighLess
on 6/17/13 10:25 am - PA

Hello all! I'm a pre-op here and full of questions as usual.

1. Have you or anyone you know or,  had a revision of RNY to sleeve?

2. If so, what happens to the RNY "limb"? Are the intestines put back as they were?

I'm asking because of all of the issues that could occur with RNY. I'm leaning more towards this surgery as I've narrowed it down to this or sleeve and I want to be sure that if for some reason I become too malnutrition that my only option isn't a band over bypass. I know with my schedule I wouldn't be able to keep up with the fills and from everything I've read, I know this wouldn't be best for me.

I will post this question in the revision board as well. I just thought more people might be able to answer here.

Thanks a bunch!

MsBatt
on 6/17/13 12:04 pm

Yes, when an RNY is revised to a Sleeve, your small intestine is returned to its original arrangement.

A BOB---Band Over Bypass---would do NOTHING to increase your ability to absorb nutrients. It's not a treatment for malnutrition, it's a treatment (sort of) for insufficient weight loss or regain.

WannaWeighLess
on 6/17/13 10:53 pm - PA

Thanks, MsBatt! I wish my center and insurance covered DS. I would just go all out the first time. But I can't :(

MsBatt
on 6/17/13 11:42 pm

If you want to appeal, I know some folks who'll gladly help you! Can't make your medical center start doing the DS, but we probably CAN make your insurance cover it for you with a DS surgeon.

SandieMc49
on 6/17/13 10:07 pm

Think twice, cut once

WannaWeighLess
on 6/17/13 10:55 pm - PA

Yes, I'm really afraid of medical problems that might arise down the line as I come from a family with all sorts of cancers. I just want to be sure that I'm in a position to receive whatever treatments I may need. As you can probably tell, I have absolutely no medical knowledge. LOL

Christyb17
on 6/18/13 3:21 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

I posted a while back about my Aunt whos Dr is looking into possibly doing her RNY to VSG 11 years out because of her iron deficiency and other health issues. I was told by several people that they wouldnt trust ANYONE or some said maybe 1 or 2 Drs in the World they would trust to do the revision. Many more people go VSG to RNY rather than vice versa. I am 14 days out VSG and couldnt be happier with my decision

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

WannaWeighLess
on 6/18/13 3:46 am - PA

I'm glad you are happy with your decision.  That's great!  I have read that a lot too, that there are very few doctors with the skill or willingness to do that type of revision. I know that it can be done though. I'm going to ask if there is anyone on my doctor's team that has done it...just in case.

JenniPenny
on 6/18/13 11:35 am - MN

I know you're researching everything but I would just like to add that I had my RNY almost 12 yrs ago and I still have WOW moments, I still am grateful I did this EVERY SINGLE DAY and I've had no complications, I take my vitamins, eat what I'm suppose to (most of the time) and I'm happy, healthy and in better shape than ever. Some have complications, I know many post op RNY patients and none of us have had any serious complication. ( few iron deficient-use more iron, one had an ulcer-fixed and hasn't come back, etc). I eat normally, I exercise normally, I go out to eat and feel normal, I can run after my grandkids and run circles around people much younger than I am - I eat enough to stay happy and healthy. RNY was the best thing I ever did and would do it again every single year if I had to in order to feel this good. The weight loss is fantastic, I'm not malnourished in any sense, my malabsorbtion isn't an issue - most post ops don't have any problems and life is great! Choose what works for you, follow the rules set out by your surgeon and you'll be fine.

Jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

WannaWeighLess
on 6/18/13 10:59 pm - PA

Thanks, Jen. I could feel the energy in your post! I think RNY is safer than the rest of the surgeries because there have been more of them done and for longer. I'm probably going to go this route. I'm just waiting to see what the surgeon's opinion is.

Most Active