Scared

curvygirlsrock
on 6/4/13 9:14 am - RI
RNY on 12/18/13

I have 13 days until  my RNY surgery.  I've been dieting since I was 3 (thanks to my mother). Every diet I have ever tried failed. I had the lapband twice and failed. I am so afraid that I will not be successful again and then I will have nothing else. There will be nothing else to do. 

Comparison is the thief of joy

Eggface
on 6/4/13 9:26 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Failure is not falling down... it's staying down. You are back up and moving forward good for you!! Let the past go... no changing it. Concentrate on making lifelong changes... finding healthy foods you love, moving your body every day, water & vits, and most importantly IMHO working on the head stuff... the why's and slaying those dragons. Every day aim for better than the day before.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MsBatt
on 6/4/13 12:21 pm

Have you researched the Duodenal Switch at all? The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI of 50 or greater. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

Frankly, with your diet history and your BMI, I really think you need to delay surgery until you have a chance to really consider the DS. It really is your best chance of long-term success, but if you go ahead with the RNY---revising an RNY to a DS is the most complicated, risky revision surgery out there.

I understand about the fear of failing. I'm 9.5 years out from my DS, and thankfully have had NO regain---but each and every day I'm aware it's possible. Fortunately my DS is still working...

curvygirlsrock
on 6/5/13 12:40 am - RI
RNY on 12/18/13

I haven't even heard of it. I'll research it right now. 

Comparison is the thief of joy

MsBatt
on 6/5/13 1:36 am

Here's a link I should have given you: http://www.dsfacts.com

And a link to a thread here at OH: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4430150/Before-you-ch oose-Gastric-Bypass-RNY-Read-This/#36623665

And if you'll do a search here, for Dr. Michal Roslin, you'll find an recent article he wrote comparing the various forms of WLS.

Good luck!

I was scared poopless, when I thought the RNY was my only option. I didn't want it, but I didn't want to die, either, and I had to do SOMETHING about my weight, and fast. I give thanks every day that I met a couple of ladies who were about 18 months post-DS at a support group meeting. After talking to them, I wen home and started researching the DS. At first, I thought "This is just too good to be true." But after reading some peer-reviewed studies and talking with some folks who were actually living with the DS---well, instead of having the RNY I could have gotten for about $200 out of pocket, I chose to travel two hours away from home and pay $7500 out of pocket in order to have the DS instead. (My insurance covered the DS, but my surgeon of chose didn't accept it. Fortunately the hospital did.)

Best money I've EVER spent.

Most Active