Question about DS. ANy regrets?

sonyamarie75
on 6/1/13 6:53 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I am in the process of doing my meetings with the dietician and have one more month left before I can submit to insurance. All along I had planned to do RNY but now I am reconsidering and thinking about DS. 

When I went to the seminar the surgeon stated he did DS and its listed on his website. He said that because the success is pretty close to RNY and RNY is less risky he usually recommends RNY over DS but will do DS if thats what the patient wants. (Its Peter Lalor at Wood County Hospital in Ohio) by the way. He worked with Dr Hess until he retired. 

I dismissed DS in the beginning because of worries about loose stool. I'm a nurse. That would be a pain. 

I'm curious for those of you who had the surgery, did you have lots of problems with this? Would you have the same surgery again? Or if you could choose again, would you have chosen a different surgery?

Have most of you been able to keep the weight off you lost? It seems like DS has better long term weight loss, which is why I am interested. 

Thanks for your help. 

Sonya

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

southernlady5464
on 6/1/13 7:23 am

Sonya, I am SO glad I had the DS...only regret was not getting it sooner.

As to loose stools...yes, but typically ONLY while you are in the immediate liquids only phase right after surgery. In fact most of us tend to have constipation not loose...

Read this web site: DSFacts

Also come visit us on the DS forum to get more answers to this.

Go read the regrets and revision boards...you will NOT many wanting to revise FROM the DS....you will find lapbanders, vsg'er's, and rny'ers on there.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 6/3/13 10:06 am

I'm 9.5 years post-DS, and no, there's no way I'd have any other surgery. My bathroom habits are far better than they were pre-op, and so are my eating habits. (*grin*) I have more trouble with constipation than I do with loose stools, and fortunately the 'cure' for that is to EAT MORE BACON.

I'm pretty effortlessly maintaining a loss of 170 pounds, and eating a half-pound of bacon (plus lots of other meat, cheese, nuts, etc.) every day.

Your surgeon is not a 'vetted' DS surgeon. I suggest choosing a different one.

Most Active