Surgery in mexico

applegirljae
on 5/13/13 3:00 pm

I'm sure I"ve seen this here before but I'm wondering if anyone has had bariatric surgery in Mexico in the last year and by who, where and are you happy with the surgery and results?

if you could include the ballpark of the price that would be awesome :)

johns-wife
on 5/13/13 10:09 pm

www.gastricband.com - roberta rumbault did mine and I was very, very happy. Dr. Alvarez is another doc. in Mexico that I have heard good things about. I paid about 11K for a Fobi RNY including hospital and aftercare, etc. Both doctors are in Monterrey, which is the international "place to go" for medical tourism. The San Jose hospital is where Rumault works from. Nothing in the states is as luxurious - mahogany desktops, travertine bathroom tiles, nurses who come in pairs instantly when you press the call button - and they actually seem happy to help you. It was a wonderful experience.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/13/13 11:19 pm

For price and more importantly skill and safety, I'd go to possibly Aceves if I wanted the sleeve, and otherwise ONLY Ungson.

That's it. Ungson is a top surgeon, so to get him at bargain rates is a real plus..

chris_ruff
on 5/14/13 2:31 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

love your screen name!

--Christina
okkiediva
on 5/14/13 1:06 am - LAWTON, OK

I had mine done in Monterrey Mexico, by Dr Raumbaut April 19, 2012.  I had some issues in the hospital and they had to go back in a second time.  I ended up being in the hospital for 6 days instead of the scheduled 2.  That being said I had wonderful care by very concerned medical team and hospital staff.  The language was not that big a deal, they worked to find english speaking staff.    I have lost 131 pounds and feel great.  I do have a family doctor who has helped with my follow up care and keeping up with blood work and stuff...   I would do it again, because I have my life back.  Its like being given a 20 year do-over.  Good Luck.

applegirljae
on 5/14/13 1:57 am

Thanks!

Karens62
on 5/14/13 4:50 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
I had my RNY done by Dr Aceves and it was 11k. Not as inexpensive as some but less than 25% of what I would have had to pay in the states and the care was excellent compare to our local healthcare facilities. Do your homework, don't assume cheapest is best, and plan to take a greater role in self education than you might need to do at your local facility.

I wouldn't recommend Mexico for everyone but if you have common sense, can follow instructions and are motivated, then it might be a good choice for you as it was for me.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Member Services
on 5/14/13 5:19 am - Irvine, CA

If you need assistance with finding a surgeon, please let us know at help@obesityhelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/13 10:07 am, edited 5/14/13 10:09 am - vancouver, Canada
Karoline
on 5/14/13 11:02 am - St.bpetersburg, FL
I was considering taking my 16 yr old daughter to Mexico for the lap band. Her insurance will not cover it and its medically necessary. I'm scared
Most Active