Which Surgery Is better

blssdmom
on 4/30/13 11:21 pm

Hello All,

I am new to this site, so please bare with me as I may have a lot of questions.  I am torn between which surger to have.   I am a 40 year old female and I weigh 274 lbs. I have my approval letter to proceed with surgery, but, I am still seeing the nutritionist,on my 2nd appoint.  I know there are risk with any type of surgery, but, I want to lose the weight.  Do you lose weight quick with the sleeve, just like the Rouen y(think I spelled it right)?

Member Services
on 5/1/13 1:55 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​​ We advise you to research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.  Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.   Let us know if you need anything else.   Regards, Member Services

stlfocus
on 5/1/13 2:04 am - IA

I personally had RNY, and I have been very pleased with that decision.  Many people on this site have had VSG or DS, and each  has their own opinion which is the best.  It is a personal decision best made after discussing with your surgeon.  Your surgeon will give you the pros and cons of each type of surgery so you are informed to make your decision.

I had to make the decision of type of surgery BEFORE I got approval from the insurance company. 

dahoodman
on 5/1/13 3:23 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Research them all like Member Services says. Also, if your surgeon only does RNY or Band or VSG or DS or whatever, MAKE SURE YOU TALK TO ANOTHER SURGEON(S) WHO PERFORMS THE OTHER TYPES OF SURGERY.

If you walk into a Ford dealership, they are going to try and sell you a Ford and tell you how bad a Chevy is or that you don't need that Chevy. You can learn a lot at the seminars, but even those can be geared towards whatever surgery the surgeon performs if the seminar is held by a particular surgeons office. There are "THE BEST SURGEON EVER" in all of the different types of WLS. Even if you really really really like the surgeon you have picked out, check around. Call the hospitals they work with and see if you get a small tour in regards to bariatric services. It's not just your surgeon you have to worry about. You need to make sure the hospital is ready for critical situations, nurses are nice and helpful, and things like that. Do your homework.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Nicolle
on 5/1/13 6:32 am

Speed is nice, but I assume you want to actually keep the weight off for the long-term, right? Then do your research.

Warning: if your surgeon cannot do a DS or will make more money off of a lap band, think hard about their advice. Try and get yourself to a surgeon that actually does all of the surgery types. Truly does them, not just heard of them! They will be more likely to give you quality advice. 

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Nicolle

DS in 2008, maintaining at goal for 5 years

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

rissa1224
on 5/1/13 10:22 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I personally was looking at the band first, until further research there was just so many complications that I read about it, it scared me. I know people, friends, who had the RNY 10 yrs out and 5 years out, and they both wish they could get switched to VSG. One tried but she is so far post op about 10 years it will be hard to switch.

VSG: Basically in easy terms its just a tiny tummy. That's it! RNY you have to have your insides re routed basically. Malabsorbtion, dumping syndrome. etc. So far I am 5 months post op VSG and am down about 77lbs. In 5 months! Give or take 15lbs or so a month. Sometimes I can lose a few lbs a week, sometimes I have a stall of losing nothing or flux between 2-3lbs for 3 weeks but then the stall breaks- but thats normal.  The ONLY thing thats different about my system is just a tiny tummy.

Good luck on your decision!

blssdmom
on 5/1/13 10:31 pm

Thank You all such much for your responses.  I truly appreciate them all!!  My surgeon is pretty great from what I hear from his patients...it does all 3 except for the DS.  I do want to keep the weight off and I hear the pros and cons on both sides.  I guess, I will just give my prayer to GOD and he will send me a message as to which one is best for me.  I glad you all have had so much success with your journey, as I hope to have with mines.  It just feels great to know there are other people in this world who have walked a mile or two in your shoes, and can be so supportive.  I Thank You All!!!!  Let my journey begin!!

NO PAIN NO GAIN

one week out from surgery.  Already down 11lbs and off blood pressure and diabetes pills!!!!!

southernlady5464
on 5/2/13 6:45 am, edited 5/2/13 6:45 am

Make sure you read THIS article first: Choice of Bariatric Procedure: A Philosophy Obtained in 20 Years of Bariatric Practice

Chose your surgery FIRST, THEN your surgeon. Many have to travel to get the one they want.

One who does not do the DS will NOT give you accurate information. Make sure they do at least these three: VSG, DS, and RNY!

Personally I wanted my best shot at resolving diabetes without the chance of dumping or regaining the diabetes back. I also wanted to be able to take NSAIDS later. You can't with the RNY. If the VSG had been an option for me at the time, I might have done that one but the RNY was not an option. And neither was the lapband...even my PCP would not have signed my recommendation for surgery if the lapband had been my choice.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/2/13 11:17 am

Please don't sell yourself short. You are limiting your success and already eliminating the most successful surgery based on your surgeons limited skill set. You have to live with this surgery the rest of your life, so you owe it to yourself to learn the differences between them. If you stay with a surgery that that same surgeon can do, great, but if you learn something life changing, that may be important too. 

What matters is going into any surgery educated, and fully informed. After surgery is the wrong time to have regrets, or wish you'd done something differently.

Marley M.
on 5/1/13 11:49 pm - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 07/19/12 with

Here are some things to consider when making your decision.  What kind of an eater are you?  Do you eat healthy foods but quite a lot?  Do you lose weight when you diet?  Do you like carbs over protein?  Does your body resist any attempts to lose weight?  What is your lifestyle?  Do you travel a lot and like to try different cuisines/foods in different countries, are you a homebody, do you like hanging out with friends having a bite and drinks? Which one the the three major surgeries would work for your life?  Notice I said three, forget the band.  Purely restriction, easier recovery, less vitamin supplementation, consider the sleeve, need mal-absorbption, but with greater vitamin supplement and greater success of no regain, then think about the DS.  Lastly, the RNY gives you the same weightloss as the Sleeve, a bit faster but the potential side effects that cause a lot of people to revise to the DS.  Having said that I like my polyric valve and with the sleeve and the DS the you get to keep it.  Decide what you are willing to live with for the rest of your life.  It's not about how quickly you lose, it's about keeping it off.  GL!

HW 316 SW 310 GW 170-175                    

Most Active