Vitamins: 3 years out, do vitamins have to be chewable (VS)

Dazzling
on 1/9/13 10:03 pm - DC

Hi

I am in the process of ordering vitamins and looking at Opurity brand.  The bariatric vitamins are all chewable.  I imagine the vitamin composition must be different given the altered digestive tract, but was wondering if it might just be that they are chewable.  Does anyone know?  Can a non-chewable vitamin be of equal benefit for a vertical sleeve patient?

Thanks!

southernlady5464
on 1/9/13 10:11 pm

Most of us can easily handle pills...I know Michelle (vitalady.com) takes pills NOT chewables...I spent almost 3 days in her company when I was about 6 months out.

While I am a DS'er, my stomach is a sleeve and I use regular pills NOT chewables.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

INgirl
on 1/9/13 10:14 pm

I only did chewables for the first month, until I ran out.. then switched to pills & caps, no issues with a fully functioning but smaller stomach.

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/13 11:00 pm
Do you know of pills or caps with a bariatric formulation?
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/13 11:01 pm
Oops! Just saw the mention of vita lady!
hollykim
on 1/10/13 8:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I don't know if there are or not really,but the "bariatric formulation" is a bunch of horse hockey. Vitamins are vitamins,they are what they are. there is nothing about any of them that makes them more "bariatric" worthy,than any others.

This is a huge hype designed to separate you from as much of your money as is possible.

GL

poet_kelly
on 1/10/13 12:23 am - OH

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says vitamins that are swallowed are absorbed just as well as chewable vitamins.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hollykim
on 1/10/13 8:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I never took anything but pills even the day after surgery I was taking my reg meds whole. I would NEVER have made myself take any other kind,i KNOW myself!

Deb_Star
on 1/13/13 3:46 am

My surgeon thought I was strange when I mentioned at my six month check up that I was still taking chewables.  She said I could've switched to pills at 3 months.  For over I year I stayed with chewables because I developed a major gag reflex.  Guess I trained myself too well to take small bites!

Most Active