how much protein is too much?

slrm2m2
on 12/19/12 12:28 pm - Canada

Is it dangerous to eat 200grams of protein in a day?

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

MyLady Heidi
on 12/19/12 1:13 pm

Yes for your kidneys it is.  I will not eat more then 60 grams a day, I don't believe in the more is more approach to protein.  As a former diabetic I was never even allowed to drink protein drinks or do Adkins diets.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/20/12 2:51 am

If i don't get 120-150 gr a day my blood work show low normal.  I need more than 60 gr. Not everyone is the same. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ms Shell
on 12/20/12 3:16 am - Hawthorne, CA

I averaged 75g for awhile and my 3/4 years abs showed my protein was low.  I've been doing 100g for the last year and finally my protein levels are normal.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

happydsr
on 12/19/12 1:19 pm

with a DS, 200 grams protein daily is a great goal.

Huneypie
on 12/19/12 5:42 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Yes it is totally dependent on the WLS you had. For normy 200g is bad for a DSer it's great.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/20/12 2:55 am

I had RNY and 4.5 years post op If i don't get 120-150 gr a day my blood work show low normal.

But at the same time I don't eat a lot of carbs so my body uses proteins as fuel.

How much proteins is too much may depend on what surgery you had, who you are (gender, size, muscle mass), how active you are, and what other foods are you eating. Early post op I did not need as many - but 2 years post op my body run out of any stored extar and if I don't want to lose muscles I better get enough proteins.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ms Shell
on 12/20/12 3:17 am - Hawthorne, CA

Long term and everything is dependent by your labs, so I would let that dictate.  Everyday for life...hmmm...occassionally...hmmm

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Valerie G.
on 12/20/12 7:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It depends on your level of malabsorption.  For instance, with a DS, 200g of protein means 100g actually absorbed

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active