Broth receipes

llLou
on 9/30/12 2:59 pm - Halifax NS, Canada
 I am in need of some good broth receipes. Thank you.
parisagol
on 10/1/12 4:49 am - MD
RNY on 10/08/12 with

How to Make Chicken Stock

A step-by-step tutorial for making a kitchen staple.

Chicken stock is a base for soups and sauces, and a builder of flavor and richness in rice dishes, stews, and pastas.

1. To make basic chicken stock, we used the bones of two chickens, water, 2 medium onions, 2 medium carrots, 2 stalks celery, 15 whole black peppercorns, and a bay leaf. This yields about 2 quarts of stock.

2. Remove as much fat from the chicken bones as possible. Don't worry about getting it all; you'll skim off the remaining fat before the stock is finished.

3. Place the bones in a large stockpot and add water to cover. Bring the water to a near-boil, and immediately reduce the heat to low. Cooking at a low simmer ensures a clear golden stock.

4. While the water is heating, chop the vegetables. Since they'll be discarded after flavoring the stock, they don't need to be bite-sized: quarter the onions or cut them in large chunks.

5. Peel and trim the ends off the carrots. Cut them in thirds or coarsely chop.

6. You can add the entire celery stalk, leaves and all--just be sure to clean the leaves thoroughly. Cut the celery into chunks.

7. Combine the chopped veggies, peppercorns, and bay leaf in a bowl.

8. Check the simmering stock: a layer of fat will have risen to the surface.

9. Use a ladle or skimmer to strain off the fat.

10. After the stock has simmered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, add the vegetables to the pot. Bring the stock back to a simmer and cook for an additional 45 minutes, skimming occasionally if fat rises to the surface.

11. Strain the stock through a fine colander.

12. The finished stock should be a clear, light tan color and have little or no fat floating on the surface. The stock is now ready to use. If you don't need the full amount for soup, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze them. Then you'll have small amounts ready to use when making a sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, casseroles, or rice dishes.

llLou
on 10/1/12 9:27 am - Halifax NS, Canada
Thank you so much.  
MsBatt
on 10/1/12 9:05 am
Parisagol's recipe sounds pretty good, but here's a few things I'd do differently.

Instead of bones, I'd use chicken leg quarters, whole. After they've stewed for a couple of hours, remove them from the stock, cool, and de-bone. The skin, gristle, etc. can be fed to your pet, the bones discarded, and the meat can be made into chicken salad.

Also, instead of trying to remove the fat with a ladle, wait until after the veggies have simmered all their goodness out, then strain as above. Refrigerate the stock, and the fat will come to the top and get firm enough you can scrape it off. (This can be added to dry dog food to give Fido a real treat!)

Also, you can make veggie borth using any kinds of veggies you like. And you can add any veggies you like to the chicken recipe---I personally like some garlic and sweet basil.
Linda_S
on 10/1/12 10:20 am - Eugene, OR
Go get yourself a jar of Better than Bouillon and stir it into a glass of ho****er.  It's so good, and you can buy it in chicken, beef, or vegetable.  It even comes organic!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

llLou
on 10/1/12 12:57 pm - Halifax NS, Canada
Thank you all. I'm looking ahead to Nov. 5th. These are all great ideas.  Linda

Louise1974
on 10/2/12 2:41 am
If you can get them, chicken feet make the best broth I have ever had!  And lots of nutritional goodness in there which you will need for healing.  I also expiremented with a form of Vietnamese Beef broth.  Google it and you will come up with all sorts of recipes.  i just used beef bones, ginger, garlic, star anise, charred onion,  Wicked good and really nice when you are sick of chicken broth!
llLou
on 10/2/12 2:51 am - Halifax NS, Canada
 I haven't seen chicken feet around here. I will difinately goggle for other recipes.Ii was thinking I would get sick of chicken broth at some point.  Thank you.  Linda
Most Active