started the pre op diet

Jeffboutwell77
on 9/8/12 8:38 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
 Actually started Preop diet two days earlier but this is my official first day I bit the bullet three times today when I saw food. One was when my wife left food laying around, another was a commercial I found myself stairing at as if I was in a trance, another was when I was in the grocery store getting brown rice for my evening meal i stayed focused and got in and out without cravings. What I want to now is how to overcome the hunger pains.

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

NomieRebecca
on 9/8/12 11:17 pm - Lindale, TX
VSG on 09/25/12
 I started mine just today and had no problems, then again, my other doctor has me on levothyroxine (helps regulate brain function) and phentermine (for energy and appetite suppression). This combination is what is keeping me focused and not hungry. I don't if you can take this medication, but I figured i'd offer the advice just in case :D

Niller
on 9/9/12 3:55 am
What are a pre-op diet compared to all the earlier attempts at loosing weight? - That ended when cravings and hunger pains could no longer be ignored? - This time it will be different ... Focus on that!

You can do it - and I wish that your surgery goes well - and that you will use your tool correctly and follow the post - op diet - knowing that this is for life - not a fad diet - to loose weight - but a last chance transformation.

JJ_
on 9/9/12 3:58 am
I personally find that ensuring I have enough protein and drinking water helps with actual hunger.  I was on Optifast prior to surgery.  I had 3 weeks of liquid shakes.  The shakes had enough protein to keep me satiated.  Then I was drinking crystal light in between the shakes to help.  I found that when I started getting hungry again it was time for another shake (4 per day).  I had them at 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Judy
Jeffboutwell77
on 9/9/12 5:19 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
 I am on a low fat low carb diet 1100 to 1300 calories so i can eat really bland foods i have one half teaspoon of spicy mustard with my hlf cup of salad. i could  tell that the liquid diet is worse but having flavorless food not really my fav... hard to do it while smelling pizza in the other room... My will power is holding up... day two is here and no desire for caffiene thats a plus...
anewbeginning2012
on 9/9/12 5:39 pm - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
 My surgeon doesn't require a preop diet except for 24 hrs before surgery of clear liquids. I am counting my blessings it isn't longer 
Jeffboutwell77
on 9/9/12 7:13 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
 you are so fortunate to have that. 
hollykim
on 9/9/12 8:08 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
try using the spicy mustard to mix with some olive oil and basalmic vinegar to make a low cal dressing. eat all the greens and what ever is n your plna as much as you can.

I don't think brown rice is low carb/low cal.personally but if it is on your diet....I wouldn't use it it will make your cravings worse.

Drink enormous amounts,including beef/chicken broth,even if it is not on your diet,it will help and runs right thru. You should be drinking the whole time you are not eating. Have something in your hand all the time drinking.

First 3-4 days are the worst...you can do it,many of us did and lived to tell about it. Hang in there n GL

Most Active