Starvation Mode

Ruth S.
on 7/31/12 2:25 pm - Orlando, FL
 I just had Revision to the RNY and had two complications (4 hospital visits) and it seems that although the dr only worked to move my Y Juncion down and didn't touch my pouch...seems like he did...if I try to eat a bit more heavily I feel full fast as if my pouch was done. I'm not as hungry and can go w/o eating for hours at a time. Add working out and not being a salad/veg person and being a Latina doesn't help cause I never really did like veggies too much. I'm trying to at least get in 1200 and it's a struggle...I hear about ppl getting 80-100 grms of protein...that just seems unheard of to me right now.  I don't know how to get on track given my curr condition...meaning get out of the starvation mode.  Anyone experienced the starvation mode syndrome and how to overcome it. I do try to incorporate water as well but it's crazy to fit it all in.  If you eat ur too full to drink and if u drink you can't eat....it's a vicious cycle!! HELP!! lol....thanks!!
Ruth S.
loretta cowels
on 7/31/12 8:15 pm - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
Hi when did you have rny surgery. I know what you mean by getting the protien in its hard. and drinks to, But if your getting close to 1200 calories you should be making most of that protein. I am 3 1/2 monthes out and still drink at least one protein shake a day but i now mix it with a little fruit to help the taste. I was told by my dr. if you dont get the protien in you wont come out of the starvation mode. Im still in the learning stage to . I know it gets so frustrating because you dont want to mess this up. Loretta
Ruth S.
on 8/1/12 1:15 am - Orlando, FL
 My revision was done 5/21/12. And ur right..you don't wanna mess it up again..lol thanks for your comment.
Ruth S.
Mom4Jazz
on 7/31/12 10:42 pm
Starvation mode is a bit of a myth for us. All the research that has shown any starvation mode effect at all has been done on people with low normal body fat - in other words, they didn't have any reserves to spare.

If you are still overweight, your body will not go into starvation mode - it will call on your fat reserves instead.

I didn't eat 1000 calories in any one day until I hit goal about 10 months after surgery. Still managed to lose 145 lbs in that time.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

MacMadame
on 8/14/12 6:31 pm - Northern, CA
Actually there have been starvation studies done on the obese. And ALL the studies, even the ones on normal weighted people, show that the idea that you will go into this magic "starvation mode" where your body refuses to lose weight even though you are operating at a calorie deficit is a myth. It's even more of a myth for the obese but even people without a lot of body fat to spare continued to lose weight while on a starvation diet.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Neen L.
on 7/31/12 11:02 pm - Arlington, VA
Like the previous poster said, starvation mode is a bit of a myth. Our bodies have fat reserves to use up, and studies have found that the slight shift in metabolism caused by dieting does not affect a person's ability to lose weight.

I also go for long periods without eating, but that is mostly because I don't eat breakfast. I do fasted morning workouts everyday, so I am also getting a significant amount of exercise each week. I am 8 years out though and had a lot of time to tweak my lifestyle to fit this in. It's overwhelming at first, but you can do it!

It is possible to get a good amount of protein at 1000-1200 calories a day. I went back and looked at my food journal this week and here is a sample day:

Lunch: 4 oz. turkey breast, 1/2 oz. wheat toast, and some raw broccoli and green peppers (22g protein)

Snack: Small strawberry yogurt (4g protein)

Dinner: 5 oz. grilled chicken breast with 1 tbsp. spicy barbecue sauce, 1.5 oz. wheat toast with 5g butter, and 1/2 cup of mixed sauteed zucchini and mushrooms. (37g protein)

Snack 1: 1.5 oz. lean ground beef mixed with mushrooms and garlic (10g protein)

Snack 2: 1 cup plain yogurt mixed with 2 tsp. raw honey and 5 strawberries (10g protein)

Total calories: 1100 Total protein: 83g

Keeping some ground beef or turkey mixed with a few vegetables or some tomato sauce has always been a staple for me. I eat a few bites of it as a snack, it's really filling, and I get some good protein. Yogurt's also a lifesaver. I like the plain whole-milk yogurt the best because it is so creamy, but low-fat is just as good if you don't tolerate fat well.

Sometimes you have to take a few spoonfuls of yogurt or bites of poultry/meat when you're not entirely famished. Getting the protein in is important so that your muscles stay healthy and you have good energy levels. Good luck!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Amy D.
on 8/15/12 5:17 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Just wanted to say that the ground meat idea is awesome! I'm going to do that.

You're just filled with good idears, ain't ya?

:)

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
nari1208
on 7/31/12 11:27 pm
 so, good luck in your starvation mode and I hope for the best in your diet. God bless!
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/12 5:49 am, edited 8/1/12 5:49 am
If you were revised from proximal to distal RNY - more small intestaine was bypassed - you may need to get more than 100 gr of proteins a day.
I had the proximal and I still get low proteins level - unless I get 120-150 gr a day. 
That based on my blood work. Most likely  - in my case -I do limit the carbs so my body is using some of the proteins for energy. (I think)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ruth S.
on 8/14/12 5:15 pm - Orlando, FL
 That is NOT happening....100gr of protein...not before and not now...but somehow Im getting something in my meals? ...my B12 was 625 which the primary said..was "normal"...ummm....
Ruth S.
Most Active