WLS & Hydration

Ruth S.
on 7/17/12 12:46 pm - Orlando, FL
 Hello, I've returned after being away for several years.  I wanted to post on the main board to see if anyone has had the same issues or can offer suggestions. Last year I started to faint at work. At first I would get a full workup and everything seemed fine except I would be dehydrated. After the third time I fainted w/o a known cause, four different times.  Given my age (50) they did full cardiac workup and everything would be normal in addition to me not having anyone in my family having cardiac issues. I did the heart monitor and they didn't tell me anything was wrong so apparently that was normal.  Even while visiting the cardiologist I started to feel weak like my sugars were getting low and faint but I held on.  He ended up telling me that due to my RNY I was having a deficiency and that I would need to drink 64oz of Gatorade G2 series. I followed that for a while but it wasn't the true answer. I think in addition I wasn't eating enough as well. And I worked a bit better on my diet.  I was having right upper quadrant pain (unexplained, no gallbladder) and met with a new surgeon and ended up having a revision to my RNY. However, apparently the issue of dehydration has reared its ugly head..I fainted and nearly fainted twice and no one can really figure it out.  Has anyone experienced any issues with dehydration?? I'm 8 years out at this point. Thank you!
Ruth S.
Ladytazz
on 7/17/12 1:44 pm
How much fluids do you normally drink.  I can drink a gallon or more a day, especially in this heat.  I don't go anywhere without a water bottle in my hand.
As far as pain, you may wind up with exploratory surgery to find the cause.  Some people get hernias, others it is scar tissue that can mess with the intestines causing them to kink and sometimes cause blockages.  Pain is not normal, don't let them blow you off.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ruth S.
on 7/23/12 8:11 am - Orlando, FL
 I TRY to drink as much water as possible...I carry a 32oz cup with ice and drink through the day. The faintings have been at work which is a hospital and it's VERY cold in there and I wear 2 jackets and it's not that. I did speak to my current surgeon and as much as he knows he says there are some pains that can not be explained.  This pain occurred at the hospital while getting an obstruction repaired - and there was no explaination as to why..though he said it could be something to do with the colon.  But last year when I saw a cardiologist because everyone thought it was a cardiac situation the thing the cardiologist said was that most or all GB patient have a deficiency and that  Gatorade (G2) would help it.  I think it's part of it plus me needing to eat more frequently. But you're right..I'm very vocal about any pains and my new surgeon is listening to some degree - as much as he surgically can help me with.
Ruth S.
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/17/12 2:02 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Did they rule out blood sugar issues completely? 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Ruth S.
on 7/23/12 8:12 am - Orlando, FL
 Possibly it can be a little of that - cause I get the shakes just before I go down - IF I go down...the thing is when I feel it coming..I have them check and if Im high and crashing when they check it - they are "normal".  It's just all weird. Thanks for your input.
Ruth S.
Dave Chambers
on 7/17/12 4:26 pm - Mira Loma, CA
It may be intermittent bp issues. I began dizzy spells and fainted a couple of times starting around 7 months post op, after 100+ pound wt loss.  Two Holter Monitor tests and an Event monitor test failed to detect an issue. I had other tests too. Finally my PCP referred me to a cardio doc.  Consult and one more Holter Monitor Test and I got a diagnosis.  I had a bp issue. As the cardio doc explained: I would have brief periods of higher bp (normal) and then return to my normal low.  I had documente pulse rates of 45 and 38 at my PCP's office.  Then I was told, for some unknown reason, my bp would dip below my normal low, causing the faint feeling or passing out. So my issue was not happening all the time.  4 days later I had a pacemaker implanted at age 60. No more issues then. Just have my pacemaker checked 2 times a year.  I was told 2 weeks ago, my pacemaker battery had about 1 1/2 years left on battery life.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Paul C.
on 7/17/12 11:45 pm - Cumming, GA
 I have chronic dehydration issues but I believe it is due more to my activity than the surgery.  I drink around 200oz a day and 100oz is powerade zero.

If you drink to much water it can be almost the same as dehydration as you will dilute your electrolyte levels.  this may be the reason for him saying to drink G2.  Did they run an electrolyte panel and find what the defficency was?  If you know you can supplement that much easier than just drinking powerade or G2.

As for the dizzy stuff I experience that and it has nothing to do with my activity level and I know a few others having the same issues.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Ruth S.
on 7/23/12 8:16 am - Orlando, FL
How do u get diagnosed with chronic dehyrdration??  Im drinking as much as I can but since you have to eat as well...it's hard to get enuf fluids and food in our bodies.  It's all a puzzle...
Ruth S.
Paul C.
on 7/23/12 8:21 am - Cumming, GA
I sweat like a madman and rarely do I pee more than once port twice a day. My urine is typically dark yellow to golden. No diagnosis needed. We know the cause and the only cure is to hydrate better our sweat less.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MyLady Heidi
on 7/17/12 11:58 pm
I drink so much water I depleted my sodium, that causes you to faint also, which is why they say Gatorade.  I don't drink it, but I now know if I am going outside in the sun to eat something salty before I go and then bring my water.  Its scary I know, I nearly passed out at a parade on 4th of July due to this very reason.

Good Luck.
Most Active