Vitamin D deficiency

KellyM
on 7/2/12 3:16 am - Katy, TX
I keep getting lower and lower reports on my vitamin D. The first was 20, second 14, and now 13. I am taking the once a week mega vitamin D pill. Should I be concerned or is this just how RNY rolls?
Kelly Noonan
southernlady5464
on 7/2/12 3:33 am
You should be VERY concerned and fixing it now...wonder how low your other labs are?

You can not absorb an oil based  (PRESCRIPTION) Vitamin D...you need the dry Vitamin D3 and the only way to get it in high enough doses is to buy the 50,000 per pill version that Vitalady carries.

Here is a list of the proximal and the distal RNY reccomendations from vitalady (who had a distal rny 19 years ago).
Proximal: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramPRNY2-2010.pdf
Distal: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Dave Chambers
on 7/2/12 4:35 am - Mira Loma, CA
Mega D?? Are you talking about the script D in the green softgel?? If so, they suck for post ops. I took one per week (as per doc's orders) after I got a 8 for D labs. 3 sets of labs over the next 6 months, and my D went up to 14.    YOU NEED a high potentcy dry D3.  Not D3 in a softgel, . I went on liquid vits with dry D3 in it, and my count was up to 33 in a month. Then I began taking 4 of the dry D3 per week I get from vitalady.com  for almost 2 years. Labs then were up to 65. Not yet at the target range of 80-90, but close. I then upped it to 1 per day for the past year.  I just had labs last week, but my D results have not come back yet.  I know I may have to adjust a lower amount of D3 after labs, but hopefully I'll finally be above 80.  Almost all RNY post ops have low D issues.  The 50K IU is the easiest, and most affordable way to get there.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

KellyM
on 7/2/12 10:32 am - Katy, TX
I will definitely get in touch with vialady.com and purchase the dry vit D. What else do you take? I bet I am low on others as well.
Kelly Noonan
poet_kelly
on 7/2/12 4:52 am - OH
Yes, you should be very concerned.  You need your vitamin D above 80, according to the Linus Pauling Institute, otherwise you're at increased risk for osteoporosis, heart disease, some kinds of cancer, other upleasant stuff.

When you say "megadose" once a week, do you mean the prescription D2 in oil?  D2 is not absorbed well at all by anyone, and since you had RNY, you malabsorb fats so vitamins in oil aren't a good option for you.  You can buy dry D3 in 50,000 IU capsules from vitalady.com.

But 50,000 IU D3 a week is not likely to get your level up much.  I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week in order to maintain a good level -  last time I had labs done, mine was 104.  Most RNY post ops seem to need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a good level.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KellyM
on 7/2/12 10:29 am - Katy, TX
THank you so much. I will get right on that. I knew that my heart thumping from time to time meant something. I will call my dr. tomorrow. The megadose is the prescription in a capsule. I was never told to take vitamin D.
Kelly Noonan
poet_kelly
on 7/2/12 10:32 am - OH
Most docs don't tell patients to start off taking vitamin D and I don't know why, except that there has been a lot of recent research on vitamin D and I don't think a lot of docs are up to date on it yet.

What you want is D3, not in oil.  Your doc may not realize there is a difference in D2 and D3, but also, even if your doc does know that you need D3 and if he writes the prescription for D3, D3 is not available by prescription and the pharmacist will give you D2 instead.  Legally, they are allowed to make that substitution.

You can get 50,000 IU D3 from vitalady.com.  It's reasonably priced.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active