10 year Anniversary

Whit
on 4/14/12 5:25 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 Hello OH people. I received my yearly congratulation email today with mixed emotions.  I had RNY bypass surgery and went from 275 to 170 in about 7 months. I did not reach goal but I maintained for about 6 years. Over the past four I have gradually packed back on 60 pounds. There are a number of contributing factors; the death of both parents and Grandmother, menopause, anxiety related to a mentality ill step son and the economy made it easy to look for comfort in food and alcohol.     Over the past year I have had counseling, joined Weigh****chers and been able to maintain my weight even lose a pound or two. I have been looking into the possibility of a revision. I have set appointments - Surgeon and Upper GI test all with a sense of Deja Vou.    Is this the right thing to do? That is yet to be determined. I do know I am in a better place then I was 10 years go both mentally and physically.     More to come. 

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/12 5:33 am

Good for You  for DOING something about  it !   Who needs  to live with weight -related frustration  ?!!
please keep us posted ..and congratulations  on successfully maintaing Ur health 4 ten years !

DebsGiz
on 4/14/12 7:20 am - FL

Only you can decide what is the right thing to do for you, but do want you to know that I am sending prayers that you are able to make the right decision for you.

Wishing you joy and success no matter which journey you decide to take...
Jerry R.
on 4/14/12 7:55 am - Simi Valley, CA
Congrats on the 10 year anniversary. I'm right behind you and in a similar spot.

Back to basics became my motto a year or so ago. I too joined WW, years ago to get back on track. Weather a revision is appropriate for you is really secondary to getting back to the basics. Protein first, no liquids 30 min befor and min 30 after...for me min 1 hour. This has really made a difference for me. In the past year I'm down ~25lbs.

I know 25 doesn't sound like a lot in comparison to when we were new with WLS but it feels great.

My starting weight was 340, in the first year I got down to 218. Over the next several years I gained back ~30 hitting the 250 mark again. Back to basics has helped me get back to my lowest weight again and in the past few weeks of tightening up, better liquid managment less carbs, and slider foods I've now hit a new low of 209!

Give your pouch a chance to see if it still works....you might not need a revision.

Good luck with your tests....it's always good to know where you are medically.

JR
JJ_
on 4/14/12 8:57 pm
Hi Whit,  Congrats on you 10 year anniversary.  It sounds like the issues that you have been experiencing have nothing to do with problems of your original surgery.  Or is there more to this story?

No surgery or revision helps us with our use of food or alcohol as a crutch.  I find that each day I need to make healthy food choices and eat less than I used to and move more (exercise).  The WLS is a tool that helps me feel full or satisfied with a lot less food.  The rest is up to me.

Do you find that your food intake is a lot?  What are you noticing about your eating that is different than the first year post-surgery?  Do you faithfully track your fluids, protein grams and food?

Judy
M M
on 4/14/12 9:35 pm
 Life has a tendency to cause regain.  I am glad you are doing alright.
Most Active