??? about ryn

loretta cowels
on 2/18/12 9:32 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
Ok so i can probly answer my own ??s but just wanted some opinions. I talked to my aunt today this is not some one I see very often but my mom just had surgery on her knee so we were talking. She had the ryn done three years ago. I dont know how big she was but when i was younger she was around 500lbs any way shes like 130 now three years out. Shes had problems one never quit smoking. Two does not eat but once a day and only about two bites. I asked her about protien she said shes lactose intolerant I tried to tell her about the products with no lactose she said they lie there is not any. I also dont think she does the vitimins either when i asked her she said she cant take them because of vitimin k . Well anyway shes got an ulcer. and lots of blood clots. She says they dont tell you but every one gets blood clots from surgery. I dont beleave this but would like an opinion on this. I didnt even try to tell her the ulcer was from smoking. She is mal nutritianed and lost most of her hair she knows shes not well but she says every one she knows is like this. Is this true???? Plus she has two brain tumers and colon cancer back again. They wont do surgery on the tumers because of all her blood clots and because of her health. Ive tried to talk with her but it didnt help the only real thing im concerned about is when she said every one has these problems.
MyLady Heidi
on 2/18/12 10:25 am
 No I have had none of these problems at nearly seven years out.  My hormones are screwed up but its menopause not wls to blame.
Ladytazz
on 2/18/12 10:31 am
She is an example of a noncompliant patient who probably wasn't screened very well.  Smoking, not taking vitamins, not eating properly are all things she could change and most likely the reason for her health issues.  Most patients who are well educated and followed up do well when they are compliant.
I hope she is able to be educated about what she needs to do to regain her health.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ladytazz
on 2/18/12 10:32 am
BTW, it is RNY, not RYN.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

devaoner
on 2/18/12 10:37 am
 I'm so sorry to hear this but im two years out and never had these issues! Not a one nor anyone I know that's has under gone gastric. My dr makes u sign agreements that u won't smoke and go threw a smoke program before doing the surgery and will test on the spot. As far as ur mother she should me eating three meals and at least two snacks a day, always taking her vitamins. Which we all slack every know and then at least I do! But she has some really scary things going on and I'd think she'd want to stay as healthy as possible! My question is why did she have gastric???? Her answer should be to save her life, to change it for a better and healthier life and be around for her family! At least that's why I choice to life, I do under stand people give up sometimes but it's never to late to live until ur on ur last breath. In ur case I hope. She realizes theirs a lot to live for still and she chooses to seek help I wish u the best and everything you have asked you have answered it just sound like she's given up which I hope not.
walter A.
on 2/18/12 10:58 am - lafayette, NJ
SHE is an example of self neglect and ingnorance. most unfortunate.
Sharyn S.
on 2/18/12 1:57 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Nope, not everyone is like your aunt, I'm glad to say.  I'm 7 years post-op, have no ulcer, no vitamin deficiencies, take all my vitamins like I'm supposed to, have all my hair, have never had a blood clot, eat 3-5 times per day about 1 cup of food each meal.

Your aunt does not do her part to make herself healthy.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

poet_kelly
on 2/18/12 2:06 pm - OH
To be honest, she sounds kind of unbalanced mentally.

She believes all forms of protein have lactose in them and everyone lies when they say some don't?  Um, lactose is a sugar that occurs in milk.  So if you eat meat, or eggs, or beans, or tofu - no lactose!  If you use a soy isolate protein powder, no lactose!  Whey isolate protein powder also has no lactose, because of how it's processed.  But if she believes all protein has lactose and there is a big conspiracy to fool people into thinking there's not but there really is, something is not quite right about her thought processes.

She believes ALL RNY patients get blood clots?  Of course they don't.  Would insurance companies even be paying for RNY if it was sure to cause blood clots and other serious problems in all patients?

She can't take vitamins because of vitamin K?  I'm sorry, but why does vitamin K prevent her from taking calcium or iron or B12?  And why can't she take a multi without vitamin K, like Centrum silver?

Perhaps the brain tumors are affecting her mentally?  Or else she is just making excuses because she does not wish to take care of herself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

loretta cowels
on 2/18/12 8:45 pm - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
I dont know thats the thing I felt like it was one excuse after anougher . I havnt even had my surgery yet and was begging her to do something to help her self. She shouldnt of even had surgery she wasnt in the right healthy to. she had to search for a doctor who would do it. She says she cant take vitimin k because of her cuidimin. I dont know I offered to find her some protien drinks with no latose she just kept saying then it would have to many calories. My mother says shes just so scared of putting weight back on but if she dont get her health under check she wont be around to be scared of this. Loretta
AnneGG
on 2/18/12 9:41 pm
WLS is not a magic wand. It helps get the weight off, and that's it. The rest is up to us- long term active maintenence that supports our healthy well being. It does not change our ways of thinking and behaving. It does not do the necessary hard work.

What your mother said is right about her being so scared of putting weight back on that she isn't taking care of the mental and physical health that will let her be around to be scared in the first place.

I hope you show her this thread and the responses to your question.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active