Hey I'm New, & I am Trying To Decide Between Which Two

PlushVeggie
on 1/12/12 4:16 am - NY
Hi. I am new, and I am also an another weight loss site. I have been trying to decide between the sleeve or the bypass. I considered the lap band, but due to the success rate, I am on the fence. I have a friend who had the bypass nine years ago, so because of the comfort of seeing her progress and thankfully no issues with hers I have been leading towards the bypass.

The issues I have with the bypass is the malabsorption, rerouting, and dumping. I am low on iron in the blood and take iron supplements because I get really tired. When I take them/eat I feel better. I don't really eat fried foods, or sweets, its more a portion control issue for me. I am afraid the RNY would make my feelings of tiredness worst. I see the surgeon for my consultation at the end of this month so I will talk to him about that and what would work best for me. In regards to the sleeve, my fear was that most of my stomach is gone, but I like the fact there is no rerouting and supposedly no dumping, however I read a comment on here and someone said that some sleevers do dump, so I will also join sleevetalk to get more information as well. I also didn't like the fact that if there was an issue I'd have no stomach, its a scary thought, although I know people can live without theirs. If I can get passed that, I might change my mind.

I have no comorbities, I am just fat and although I could lose it, it would just take a very long time, and I like the fact that with the surgery it keeps you in check for life. Even if I were to be one of those that would gain and my new pouch/tummy was still small, I feel that at least my stomach/pouch would hold less making trying to lose a bit easier in compared to a normal tummy. Anywho, I know it's an individual thing but I guess the main question I am asking is for people that are like me looking to lose 100-150 with no comorbities, and with low iron what surgery would you suggest? Someone mention a DS, but I was reading about that and the gassiness and the loose stools was a no no for me.
NanaB.
on 1/12/12 4:21 am, edited 1/12/12 4:26 am
If you are basing your decision on NO DUMPING with the Sleeve, I don't want to burst your bubble but many do, so you may want to re-examine RNY, if you are going for the gusto. Do a search on the Sleeve forum and type in "Dumping" and you will find that many have that same unpleasant side effect if they eat too much sugar and carbs.

Good luck.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

PlushVeggie
on 1/12/12 4:27 am - NY

That is not my main reason for going for the sleeve, and I also mentioned that I saw that some people do dump. What I like most about the sleeve is there is no rerouting.

sam1am
on 1/12/12 9:47 am
 Where are you getting this information about people with the sleeve dumping?  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've rarely seen it.  Even then, I doubt that it's actually dumping as we have our pyloric valve.  People can dump (or some form) without any wls, therefore probably with the lap band as well.  I've seen you post a few times that people probably aren't voicing their problems with the sleeve - maybe because they don't have any problems?

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

NanaB.
on 1/13/12 7:59 pm, edited 1/13/12 9:19 pm
Sorry, I am not spreading misinformation about the Sleeve, I have no reason to do that, that is done a lot about the lap band though. I make sure I thoroughly research a surgery and its side effects before making a life altering decision, you need to do the same thing and not base your research on what people say on the Internet.

And sorry try again...lap banders DO NOT DUMP period, there is no stapling the stomach.

Also many people do not know or realize they dump with the Sleeve, some just think they can no longer eat some carbs, fats and sweets unless they get sick, some people do not even know what they are getting into until after they've removed their stomach. If anyone wants to learn more about DUMING with the VSG, they can just go the Search box at the top of the forum and TYPE IN VSG and DUMPING and they will get several posting of people complaining about dumping on the VSG forum.

Here is recent studies indicating Dumping aka gastric emptying with Sleeve patients.

What is rapid gastric emptying?

Rapid gastric emptying, also called dumping syndrome, occurs when undigested food empties too quickly into the small intestine.

[Top]

What are the symptoms of rapid gastric emptying?

Early rapid gastric emptying begins either during or right after a meal. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. Late rapid gastric emptying occurs 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms include hypoglycemia, also called low blood sugar; weakness; sweating; and dizziness. Experiencing both forms of gastric emptying is not uncommon.

New Study and FINDINGS ON DUMPING AKA...GASTRIC EMPTING WITH THE SLEEVE AS OF January 10, 2012

SAGES Annual Meeting

Tomorrow is All About Today

Search

Main menu

Skip to primary contentSkip to secondary content

Post navigation

COMPARISON STUDY OF GASTRIC EMPTYING AFTER PERFORMING SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY WITH TWO DIFFIERENT TECHNIQUES

Posted on January 10, 2012

Saed A Jaber, MD, Basma M Fallatah, MD, Abdel- Aziz Shehry, MD, Mahmoud Abdelmoeti, MD. King Fahd Medical Military complex

BACKGROUND: Sleeve gastrectomy (SG) has been became a primary surgical treatment for obesity. This operation could be associated with motor gastric dysfunction and abnormal gastric emptying. The purpose of this prospective study is to present a comparison study of gastric emptying to solids after performing sleeve gastrectomy with two different techniques using scintigraphy. METHODS: Prospectively; twenty morbidly obese patients were submitted for laparoscopic SG. After excluding patients with gastro-esophageal reflux disease and diabetes mellitus for the sake of avoiding having a preoperative gastric emptying, patients were divided into two groups. One group (3 males, 7 females) had sleeve gastrectomy started 7 cm from the pylorus and then vertical gastrectomy a long a 40 french size tube and the other group (3 males, 7 females ) has the sleeve started at 4 cm from the pylorus and then vertical gastrectomy a long a 40 french size gastric tube . Gastric emptying of solids was measured by scintigraphic technique. RESULTS: At 4 cm from the pylorus: Nine of ten patients had delayed gastric emptying with t1/2 >50 min (55-133 min).Mean BMI decreased from 42.1Kg/m2 to 36Kg/m2. All female patients were complaining from significant nausea and vomiting postoperatively that persisted for 6 months. At 7 cm from pylorus: Ten patients had rapid gastric emptying with t1/2<30 min(17-29 min) . BMI decreased from 42.1Kgm2 to 37.1Kg/m2. From these cases one female patient developed nausea in a chronic manner. Conclusion: Gastric emptying after SG is variable according to point of starting sleeve gastrectomy from the pylorus. At 4 cm it is associated with delayed emptying and at 7 cm it is associated with accelerated emptying for solids in the majority of patients. These results could be in consideration to select the appropriate technique according to gender and preoperative foregut condition.

From WBMD...about the Sleeve and Dumping

Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Restrictive operations like gastric sleeve surgery make the stomach smaller and help people lose weight. With a smaller stomach, you will feel full a lot quicker than you are used to. This means that you will need to make big lifelong changes in how you eat-including smaller portion sizes and different foods-in order to lose weight.

This surgery can be done by making a large incision in the abdomen (an open procedure) or by making several small incisions and using small instruments and a camera to guide the surgery (laparoscopic approach). More than half of yourstomach is removed, leaving a thin vertical sleeve, or tube, that is about the size of a banana. Surgical staples keep your new stomach closed. Because part of your stomach has been removed, this is not reversible

Sometimes this surgery is part of a larger approach to weight loss done in several steps. If you need to lose a lot of weight before you have duodenal switch surgery, gastric sleeve surgery may help you.

What To Expect After Surgery

You will have some belly pain and may need pain medicine for the first week or so after surgery. The cut that the doctor makes (incision) may be tender and sore. Because the surgery makes your stomach smaller, you will get full more quickly when you eat. Food also may empty into the small intestine too quickly. This is called dumping syndrome. It can cause diarrhea and make you feel faint, shaky, and nauseated. It also can make it hard for your body to get enough nutrition.

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

MsBatt
on 1/16/12 12:31 am, edited 1/13/12 9:47 pm
On January 14, 2012 at 3:59 AM Pacific Time, NanaB. wrote: Sorry, I am not spreading misinformation about the Sleeve, I have no reason to do that, that is done a lot about the lap band though. I make sure I thoroughly research a surgery and its side effects before making a life altering decision, you need to do the same thing and not base your research on what people say on the Internet.

And sorry try again...lap banders DO NOT DUMP period, there is no stapling the stomach.

Also many people do not know or realize they dump with the Sleeve, some just think they can no longer eat some carbs, fats and sweets unless they get sick, some people do not even know what they are getting into until after they've removed their stomach. If anyone wants to learn more about DUMING with the VSG, they can just go the Search box at the top of the forum and TYPE IN VSG and DUMPING and they will get several posting of people complaining about dumping on the VSG forum.

Here is recent studies indicating Dumping aka gastric emptying with Sleeve patients.

What is rapid gastric emptying?

Rapid gastric emptying, also called dumping syndrome, occurs when undigested food empties too quickly into the small intestine.

[Top]

What are the symptoms of rapid gastric emptying?

Early rapid gastric emptying begins either during or right after a meal. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. Late rapid gastric emptying occurs 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms include hypoglycemia, also called low blood sugar; weakness; sweating; and dizziness. Experiencing both forms of gastric emptying is not uncommon.

New Study and FINDINGS ON DUMPING AKA...GASTRIC EMPTING WITH THE SLEEVE AS OF January 10, 2012

SAGES Annual Meeting

Tomorrow is All About Today

Search

Main menu

Skip to primary contentSkip to secondary content

Post navigation

COMPARISON STUDY OF GASTRIC EMPTYING AFTER PERFORMING SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY WITH TWO DIFFIERENT TECHNIQUES

Posted on January 10, 2012

Saed A Jaber, MD, Basma M Fallatah, MD, Abdel- Aziz Shehry, MD, Mahmoud Abdelmoeti, MD. King Fahd Medical Military complex

BACKGROUND: Sleeve gastrectomy (SG) has been became a primary surgical treatment for obesity. This operation could be associated with motor gastric dysfunction and abnormal gastric emptying. The purpose of this prospective study is to present a comparison study of gastric emptying to solids after performing sleeve gastrectomy with two different techniques using scintigraphy. METHODS: Prospectively; twenty morbidly obese patients were submitted for laparoscopic SG. After excluding patients with gastro-esophageal reflux disease and diabetes mellitus for the sake of avoiding having a preoperative gastric emptying, patients were divided into two groups. One group (3 males, 7 females) had sleeve gastrectomy started 7 cm from the pylorus and then vertical gastrectomy a long a 40 french size tube and the other group (3 males, 7 females ) has the sleeve started at 4 cm from the pylorus and then vertical gastrectomy a long a 40 french size gastric tube . Gastric emptying of solids was measured by scintigraphic technique. RESULTS: At 4 cm from the pylorus: Nine of ten patients had delayed gastric emptying with t1/2 >50 min (55-133 min).Mean BMI decreased from 42.1Kg/m2 to 36Kg/m2. All female patients were complaining from significant nausea and vomiting postoperatively that persisted for 6 months. At 7 cm from pylorus: Ten patients had rapid gastric emptying with t1/2<30 min(17-29 min) . BMI decreased from 42.1Kgm2 to 37.1Kg/m2. From these cases one female patient developed nausea in a chronic manner. Conclusion: Gastric emptying after SG is variable according to point of starting sleeve gastrectomy from the pylorus. At 4 cm it is associated with delayed emptying and at 7 cm it is associated with accelerated emptying for solids in the majority of patients. These results could be in consideration to select the appropriate technique according to gender and preoperative foregut condition.

From WBMD...about the Sleeve and Dumping

Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Restrictive operations like gastric sleeve surgery make the stomach smaller and help people lose weight. With a smaller stomach, you will feel full a lot quicker than you are used to. This means that you will need to make big lifelong changes in how you eat-including smaller portion sizes and different foods-in order to lose weight.

This surgery can be done by making a large incision in the abdomen (an open procedure) or by making several small incisions and using small instruments and a camera to guide the surgery (laparoscopic approach). More than half of yourstomach is removed, leaving a thin vertical sleeve, or tube, that is about the size of a banana. Surgical staples keep your new stomach closed. Because part of your stomach has been removed, this is not reversible

Sometimes this surgery is part of a larger approach to weight loss done in several steps. If you need to lose a lot of weight before you have duodenal switch surgery, gastric sleeve surgery may help you.

What To Expect After Surgery

You will have some belly pain and may need pain medicine for the first week or so after surgery. The cut that the doctor makes (incision) may be tender and sore. Because the surgery makes your stomach smaller, you will get full more quickly when you eat. Food also may empty into the small intestine too quickly. This is called dumping syndrome. It can cause diarrhea and make you feel faint, shaky, and nauseated. It also can make it hard for your body to get enough nutrition.

Yes, you ARE spreading mis-information about the Sleeve---and every other form of WLS you ever talk about.

A H.
on 1/14/12 10:37 am
Revision on 02/09/12
 The band is **** no matter how big you make your font size.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/12 1:17 am
On January 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM Pacific Time, ubergrrl wrote:
 The band is **** no matter how big you make your font size.
, too funny !

gonersmom
on 1/12/12 4:30 am
I love my sleeve, and have lost just over 100# this past year. I too researched all types of WLS and my only regret is that I didn't take this kind of action for my health 20 years ago. Of course the VSG wouldn't have been an option that long ago.I didn't want the malabsorbtion/gas/BM problems so DS and RNY weren't for me. The lapband I felt was becoming outdated, so I chose the VSG and haven't had a single minute of regret.

No matter which surgery you choose, the main most important thing to remember is that it is only a tool. You need to work it, you need to be accountable to yourself. It is not a miracle cure. Once you understand that, I believe you will have success no matter which you choose.

Best wishes in this journey. Keep educating yourself. It makes the pre and post op periods much easier to deal with.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
NanaB.
on 1/12/12 4:38 am
FYI...The Sleeve is not that new, it was an option when I got my band over 6 years ago .... also people are still getting the band in droves so it's far from outdated, they may not post here though, remember there are several forums dedicated to only banded people.

Most Active