iron supplement question

Stephanie B.
on 9/12/11 10:16 pm - Chattanooga, TN
Which type of iron should we use? At docs office and drawing blank. Thanks
Amy R.
on 9/12/11 10:55 pm
It depends on your needs.  Carbonyl iron is the best absorbed, along with heme iron. 

The heme is crazy expensive, so unless you really need that one because of absorption issues, it's probably best to just go with the carbonyl. 

There are a couple of other kinds that you can buy in the grocery store that are even cheaper and are absorbed fine by most, but lots of people do have issues and so "graduate" to the carbonyl and then if that doesn't help,  move up to the heme.

I have to use heme and it is about $60 for a bottle of 90 tablets here.  (I have to take 4-5 tablets a day, but I am a severe exception.)

Take care.
So Blessed!
on 9/13/11 4:30 am

I used Ferrex 150 Forte for my anemia.  It also contains folic acid and a couple of other vitamins along with the iron.  It was prescribed by my surgeon and covered by insurance. 

It's a high dosage of iron, so they will have to watch your labs closely so you don't get too much.

Sarah_Anne
on 9/13/11 8:31 am
I use the heme kind, 3x a day.  All the other kinds constipated me terribly and my iron was sinking.  Since switching my iron is great and you can take heme iron with food which is a great plus.  It also does not conflict with calcium.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Most Active