800 calories a day?

ericia S.
on 9/12/11 6:23 am - stockton, CA
can you really live off 800 calories a day? i know when i first had my surgery i could only eat that much. but if you really workout can it really be done? i have to eat at least 1400 calories with workout a day for me to handle the day, i am just wondering 800calories a day is enough calories to workout and to support your health?

Heaviest 385 / Starting 382/Pre op 304/ Current 203/My Goal 170

i gained 43lbs after 2 1/2 year out by eating poarly but now i am on a whole new journey to lose the weight plus more for good!

poet_kelly
on 9/12/11 6:26 am - OH
I don't think it's enough even if you don't work out, not for a long period of time, anyway.  I am below goal and don't want to lose any more and I need about 1500 calories a day even though I don't exercise much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ericia S.
on 9/12/11 6:35 am - stockton, CA
thank you! i  was thinking maybe i need to lower my calories to 800. i been seeing a lost of lapbad people say they only eat 800 calories aday.. just wonder if anyone can really live on that.
Heaviest 385 / Starting 382/Pre op 304/ Current 203/My Goal 170

i gained 43lbs after 2 1/2 year out by eating poarly but now i am on a whole new journey to lose the weight plus more for good!

believer
on 9/13/11 2:14 pm - On the coast, Southern, CA
RNY on 10/17/07 with
 I want be BELOW goal! Curious...what is below goal for you? You are awesome too! Whatcha doing right girl?
poet_kelly
on 9/14/11 1:12 am - OH
Well, initially I decided my goal would be 130, which would make me in the middle of the "normal BMI" range.  My surgeon felt that would really be too low for me and felt strongly that 140 would be a better goal so I went along with that.  However, I ended up getting down to 122 and had to make a real effort not to lose anymore.  I sat at 122 for about a year, then I was on some medication that often causes weight gain and now I'm up to 130, which I guess I feel OK about if I don't gain anymore.  Gaining is scary to me.  It's like, if I had never gotten lower than 140 I would have felt just fine about it but the idea of gaining scares me.  I think I'm afraid if I start gaining I won't just gain a little, I'll just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

As far as what I'm doing right, I think the biggest things are measuring my portions and focusing on protein.  I eat treats once in a while, just not a lot.  There are some foods I keep out of the house, like crackers, because I know I can't eat them in moderation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 9/12/11 9:17 am
 Right after RNY surgery, that is all that most can get it.  It increases as time goes by and does not matter because the body is burning stored fat.  A good rule is 10 calories per day for each pound you want to maintain.  So 1500 calories should get you to and keep you at 150 pounds.
MacMadame
on 9/12/11 9:47 am - Northern, CA
I trained for my first Sprint Triathlon on 700-900 calories a day. My body got the energy it needed from my fat stores. That's what they are there for. I did eventually get up to 1200 calories a day but I as training for a Half-Ironman by then, was very close to goal (so less fat stores) and I needed a lot more protein.

Here is what I ate and how much I exercised and how much weight I lost during the first year:

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2010/07/calories-protein-carbs-exercise-weight.html

It's just to give you an idea... everyone is different. But one thing my surgeon stressed was that I had to get adequate protein if I was going to workout like that. I think that helped a lot with my energy levels.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

believer
on 9/13/11 2:26 pm - On the coast, Southern, CA
RNY on 10/17/07 with
 Read your site! Great one! I found it hard to reach you! I am a runner...and I weight lift. I was doing around 25 miles a week..but no more weight loss! You are a machine! Inspiring...
kathycgd
on 9/12/11 10:27 am - ID
I am 5 months post op, still have about 50-60 lbs to lose.  I currently eat about 700-900 calories per day, that includes 90 grams of protein though.  I work out 4-5 days a week, and do not feel like I don't eat enough.  I usually do a protein shake before going to the gym in the morning though, then breakfast when I get home.  Granted I am not training for a marathon, just for a healthier, fitter me. I am really surprised that I survive on this but it does not cause me any issues.
But I do think everyone is different, what works for some will not work for others, But to answer your question, yes I can live off 800 calories a day.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 9/12/11 10:37 am - Belleville, IL
Probably not...I am a serious bodybuilder/weightlifter and eat around 1000 calories and 100 grams of protein. If I eat less than that I tend to not be able to lift as much or have staying power in MMA fights. So there ya go.

Any more than that (1100 cals0, and I tend to gain a bit of weight, so it's a balance act. I also take a lot of bodybuilding supplements and vites.

Warmly,
Jackie

Most Active