how many complications from by pass

dmich
on 7/14/11 2:22 am
O****ep going back and forth on what surgery to have. Im pretty sold on the sleeve but by pass would actually help me more with diabetic problems. I also have gerd and so sleeve worries me with that. I have read alot of things where things went wrong with r n y is this because patient did not do what dr said or is this just what happens to everyone?
Katari
on 7/14/11 2:31 am - OR
I'm approaching 2 years out and have had NO complications what so ever. Is there a specific complication that worries you? major complications from the surgery itself (very small percentage of people have major complications)?

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

dmich
on 7/14/11 2:45 am
ulcers, dumping, vomiting and never being able to take a steroid if i ever needed it , we have lupus in our family. I dont have it but both my sisters do.I have to work and I dont do well with feeling sick.
MsBatt
on 7/14/11 4:24 am
You are diabetic, and you need to be able to take NSAIDs. Ergo, you need the DS.

As for GERD---the RNY is considered to be the best form of WLS for that, but I can say that my DS has cured MY GERD. I had my DS over seven years ago, and my Sleeve is somewhat larger than most surgeons make them today. BUT---I believe an experiened DS surgeon would take your GERD into account when deciding what size to make YOUR Sleeve.
petiteposies
on 7/14/11 5:24 am - FL
what's DS?  please
MsBatt
on 7/14/11 5:44 am
"DS" is short for "Duodenal Switch", or, more properly, "Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy with Duodenal Switch". Here's a picture:

If you're familiar with the Sleeve (VSG), the stomach portion of the DS is the same. The actual "Switch" part is the intestinal bypass portion. Like the RNY, it causes malabsorption and, in the case of the DS, PERMANENT metabolic changes. It's SO effective at treating diabetes that surgeons in Europe have been doing the Switch on NON-obese diabetics for several years now.

You can learn more about it here: www.dsfacts.com and at the DS board right here on OH:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/
petiteposies
on 7/14/11 6:46 am - FL
You are a lovely lady and very knowledgable to boot!!
Thank you so much....Sam
walter A.
on 7/14/11 5:28 am - lafayette, NJ
or a very special sleeve like mine, that Dr A did for me, no gerd at all , as part of my DS 
walter A.
on 7/14/11 2:54 am - lafayette, NJ
why not op for a completely normal life post op and get a ds , read about the it on dsfacts.com,
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 3:28 am - NY
Is taking a ton of supplements everyday a "completely normal life"?
Most Active