XPost: one year surgiversary: long, navel gazing, and photo whoring!

shannn
on 7/13/11 2:16 am - Knoxville , TN
So, last week was my one year surgiversary. I have my doctor's appointment and labs tomorrow so I will do a health update later, but I had to do a lifestyle update now!

First, my before: diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sore back, etc.... My highest weight was 297 pounds. I lost my father from an early fatal heart attack and I felt sure that I was headed down that same path of leaving my children way too early. I have lost all those co-morbidities and am now not on any medication, besides vitamins. I reach my doctor's goal at about 10 months out (165 pounds) and my personal goal during my 12th month (149). I am continuing to lose (I was 143 this morning) so I guess I'll just hang on and see what happens. My BMI has gone from 47.9 to 23.6

Here's my monthly weighins for those who are interested:
Surgery weight 286 (11 lb on preop diet)
Month 1  264 (22)
Month 2  249 (15)
Month 3  234 (15)
Month 4  222 (12)
Month 5  211 (11)
Month 6  199 (12)
Month 7  186 (13)
Month 8  177 (9)
Month 9  166 (11)
Month 10  160 (6)
Month 11  152 (8)
Month 12  146 (6)

I felt like I was watching others live and staying in the background. We go to the beach every year and from last summer there were only 2 pictures of me -- one in bed and one reading on the couch. This year, I was in them all, and well, you'll see!

I'm so glad I had a DS. I eat whatever I want, with exceptions of white carbs. I really haven't tried much white flour (a bite here and there from the bread bowl and cake.) I haven't counted a thing but just tried to stay low carb. Dreamfield's pasta is the only thing that's caused me painful stomach problems, but I do have dhr with too much sugar (I mean TOO TOO much...like I ate a Ben & Jerry's ice cream cone at the beach). Usually it's no problem ~ I can (and do) have 1 Reeses cup. I still start every day with a protein shake and probably will for life.

I've been through a lot of emotional changes this year. I lost my beloved mother to cancer and her death has left me reeling through life still. I wish I could say that losing weight had changed everything but it hasn't and I guess that's reality. I have some strained friend relationship as others try to deal with the effects of my weight loss and my changed attitudes. Some of them are not happy to lose their "fat friend" who always puts others first. I have  become "selfish" to them ~ I prefer to think of it as loving and respecting myself more and not always putting myself last. I am worth having others care for me for a change. I'm working on loving myself as I am. I have VERY poor body image and it's caused me trouble, especially in the intimacy area of my marriage.

So, the photo whoring:

PREOP:

ONE YEAR:

Official One Year Collage

Not a great pic, but yes! a 2 piece swimsuit!!

A dear friend got married at the beach last week (ON my surgiversary!!)

With my gorgeous hubby of almost 19 years

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 3:21 am
Congratulations! I'm so so happy for you and your success! I'm also very sorry to hear about your family loss

The best of continued luck
Katari
on 7/13/11 3:42 am - OR
First off, I'm so sorry for your loss. That being said. It sounds like you have had a great success with your weight loss surgery! Congrats! You look wonderful!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Melinda D.
on 7/13/11 4:23 am - Lewisville, TX
I love when people photo ***** themselves out!!!! GIRL you are amazing!
Melinda D. in Dallas, TX
Patiently waiting for my WLS date!

jenysez1
on 7/13/11 6:15 am - LA
LOOKING GREAT!!!!

Jenny

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 7:25 am
 Absolutely love the photos.  You have a beautiful smile!  You look fab, but most importantly, you look HAPPY!  :)
martitalinda
on 7/13/11 8:12 am
 ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!! WOW! WOW! WOW!!!! CONGRATULATIONS .... YOU ARE GORGEOUS ... STUNNING! I am soooooooooooo happy for you... thanks for sharing your surgiversary... beautiful pictures.... amazing weight loss journey....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

spedcon
on 7/13/11 10:18 am
Woohoo Shann!!  You look absolutely amazing!! I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet Mom...that is so sad. Big hugs for you.

I understand how it feels to be treated differently over weight loss. It has seemed to improve with time for me, I hope it does for you as well.

My hubby will start the 6 month process (again) for the DS...fingers, toes or whatever crossed folks! His weight continues to climb and I am so scared for him.

You and your family look so comfy together now. It feels great to be "comfortable in your own skin" doesn't it? I know you feel much better!        Connie
betsyp
on 7/14/11 12:41 pm - knoxville, TN
So very proud of you! You look fabulous!!! Love ya!
Betsy
RNY 10.09.07
Most Active