Getting Started

KristenRB82
on 7/8/11 1:53 am
So I know I want this surgery. Have been needing it for years, but just never had the insurance or money to cover it. I have Aetna through my employer which is Regis Corp. a salon chain. Anyone have this insurance? I've read where they have a mandatory 6 month pre-op diet, but I guess I just need to do more research. Suppose it depends on the individuals plan.

I guess my main concern is this : How long does the process take from once your Dr. sends out the letter of medical necessity to when you got your surgery?

I'm so excited but nervous of how much patience I'll need! LOL :D

BMI 40
Kathy S.
on 7/8/11 4:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
 There are so many factors it's not possible to give you an exact answer. Mine was approved within days but that was me.

Give your insurance company a call and find out what pre-op requirements they have.  Your surgeon can be a great help as well, since they have worked with insurance companies and may know the requirements of Aetna.  If you don't have a surgeon yet, let us know and we will be glad to assist you with finding one.

Contact us at [email protected]

Take care,
Kathy 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Jrzyboriqua
on 7/8/11 6:00 am - East Windsor, NJ
 Hi Kristen

I believe it varies from Ins to Ins.  I just went to my surgeon on June 30 and I have a tentative date of 9/6!   If you have found a surgeon already, they should be able to direct you in the right direction.  

MacMadame
on 7/8/11 11:13 am - Northern, CA
It varies so much that you may not even need a letter from your PCP. It depends on whether you have a PPO, an EPO, an HMO, etc.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 12:45 pm - AL
While you are researching your insurance make sure you research all the surgical options that are available today.  There are FOUR and they are not all created equal.

Make sure you are an educated consumer and have a complete understanding of the pros and cons of EACH of those surgeries before deciding which surgery to have.

THEN once you have decided on which surgery you want pick your surgeon.  Not all surgeons can do all four surgeries and a surgeon who can't DO a particular surgery isn't going to recommend it to you.

If you have any questions just holler!!

Think twice~~cut once!!

~Becky

Most Active