What's my "exact" target weight

ruggie
on 6/27/11 4:54 am - Sacramento, CA
Hello you amazing guys -

I see all of you with your little weight loss progress bars on your posts, and I want one to!

The thing is, I don't know what to set for my goal weight.

I'm a 5'10" male, and I know I should be around 170 or 180.  But do I set my goal to 170 pounds, 175 pounds, or 180 pounds?  Is there any guide to pick a more specific target?

Thanks for any advice!

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 4:58 am
Eh, your choice.. many tag a weight in the mid-high normal BMI range, but frankly- a "goal" weight will shift for many of us, as many of us will never make it down to a "normal" BMI (but will gain a hell of a lot of health), some may go lower, and a few will discover the joys of weight lifting and may need to revise upwards! 

I picked my lowest weight I attained decades ago dieting, and I still likely had a good 10-15 to go, regardless of my extra skin. I may never see the weight again, and 170 may be more realistic, but hell- shoot for the moon and call goal when your body is ready and stops losing.
MsBatt
on 6/27/11 6:20 am
I never set a goal weight. My golas were to get healthier, get mobile, get comfortable in my skin. I also don't own any scales.
Elizabeth N.
on 6/27/11 6:36 am - Burlington County, NJ
Why does your goal have to be a number on a machine? The scale lies.

How about picking an entirely different goal for the definition of success/health? If what you want to do is, oh I dunno, become more athletic, how about a goal like being able to run 2 miles a day five days a week?

How about a clothing size goal? That's a far more reliable and realistic measure of size than scale numbers.

And why does it have to be an "exact" number? That's another reason I like judging my maintenance by the fit of my jeans. It gives a range within which I can comfortably vary. If it starts getting hard to zip the jeans, it's time to cut the  carbs and kick up the activity level. If they get baggy enough to not fit right, it's a sign that I'm dropping below what I consider appropriate and healthy.

paranoidmother21
on 6/27/11 7:34 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Or, how about a body fat percentage goal?

Once we've been obese for a good long while, our bones become more dense and our muscles grow to move us around. As a result, our BMI, even when we lose a LOT of weight is likely to be higher than people of the same size with the same size frame.

Therefore, body fat percentage, which actually compares what you really want to reduce (fat) with what you really want to keep (bones and muscle), and gives you what I consider the healthiest barometer of your size.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 7:38 am
Ask Dr. Cirangle, he knows his stuff and will probably help you choose a goal that is right for you.  He wanted me to get to 110 lbs., which was the bottom third of my BMI.  I was a lightweight at 196 lbs. and 5'1".  I am now at 103 lbs., so it doesn't much matter what you choose, your body will have a lot to say about how low you can comfortably go.
ruggie
on 6/27/11 10:01 am - Sacramento, CA
Hey guys -

Such a diverse and inspiring amount of suggestions and help; I'm really glad I found this board!  You've all made excellent points.  I'll have to think a bit more on it!
Most Active