blue cross blue shield ppo mi coverage

dmich
on 6/26/11 7:19 am
Can anyone tell me if they had ppo blue cross blue shield in mi and had the sleeve surgery done if they covered it ?
no_more_rolls
on 6/26/11 8:33 am - Jackson, MI
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO (flexible blue).  They are covering the DS for me...which the first half (or upper half) is the Sleeve.  

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

dmich
on 6/26/11 8:45 am
Was that your first pick for a surgery or was that the only one they would  cover? I appreciate your answer. Good luck to you and I hope things go well.
no_more_rolls
on 6/26/11 8:52 am, edited 6/26/11 8:53 am - Jackson, MI
It was my first choice due to health issues I have and I wanted to potentially avoid the need for a revision if I chose another procedure.  I also chose the DS because I will keep my pyloric valve...which is important to me due to the kinds of medication I need to take.  I am not a candidate for the lap-band because I have lupus (SLE) and my body will most likely reject it.

I actually called the member services number on the back of my card and asked a lot of questions.  I needed to research the ICD-9 codes for each procedure and gave a general diagnosis code for morbid obesity.  My policy covered lap-band, RNY gastric bypass, VSG (sleeve), and the DS (duodenal switch).  There is a 1 time maximum lifetime WLS (weight loss surgery) on my policy.  They may cover a revision, but only if I can prove medical necessity...which is very hard to do.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

knat
on 6/27/11 12:34 am - MI
I have bcbs ppo of mi and so far I am covered! My surgery is on 7/19 they do have pre-recs that you have to do with your reg doc and then with wl surgeon also. I am having the ds but when I called bcbs and talked to them they were really helpful and have a letter of pre recs you sould know before you do everything just to make sure you are following there guidlines. If you have the diagnostic code you can call to be sure or just ask them if they cover that surgery. When I called there was only one code for ds so it was easy. Good Luck!
Kim
Waiting to see me!

Bertrand765
on 7/4/11 12:06 pm
I have BCBS of MI PPO and they did indeed pay for my sleeve. I think my out of pocket expensive was around $400. After I had met my yearly deductible. The sleeve was the best decision of my life! Best of luck to you!
Elle

Most Active