PLEASE check your labs!

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/25/11 12:33 pm - Belleville, IL
I honestly debated posting this...

First I want to say, I LOVE my RNY and have had NO complications at all...Not a single one so far.

In a few days will be my 1 year "surgiversary" and I have lost all my weight and then some ( have hit goal).

I do serious amateur weight lifting and on the 28th, will gladly post my 1 year before and after photos. But this is NOT what this post is about. I wanted to remind ALL of you...Veterans and newcomers alike...Please, please, please...be vigilant about checking your labs!

What I am about to post has NOTHING to do with WLS...It is NOT a complication from RNY or WLS (in fact it is a complication from years of being on Chemotherapy-Methotrexate, Prednisone, Enbrel and other liver toxic drugs).

After many worrisome labs, it looks as if my liver is failing, No, I never had "fatty liver" nor was I ever a drinker (alcohol) but I did take heavy duty drugs (for my cancer and autoimmune diseases) and also post op took ALOT of Tylenol, since any NSAIDS were out of the question. Now, my liver is going Kaput.

Please, please, please...Check your labs. If your Bariatric surgeon won't do it, have your PCP, Internest, whomever do it...And MORE importantly, LEARN about what your labs mean. What AST, ALT, Esophinils, basophils, etc mean. Learn to READ your own labs.

There are some WONDERFUL sites out there that explain in easy to understand terms WHAT each test is, and what a normal range is...For Bariatric paitients (Post Op WLS folks) we often need our B vitamins, Iron and Calcium HIGHER than what is considered within the low to normal range.

(Example...My B vitamin is around 2200...That is a wee bit high, but a value of around OVER 900 is desirable!)
Here are some sites to learn and read about...
> http://www.labtestsonline.org/
> http://www.amarillomed.com/howto

This site is awesome and is written by a WLS paitient who not only helps others on here, but has went to college and learned to understand lab reports!
> wlsvitagarten.com/lab-tests/

LEARN your labs...Do NOT always trust your doctors to find your vitamins and minerals out of whack...By the time your Vitamin D reading is 10 you are in CRITICAL condition, by the time your IRON reading is 10 or under you are in CRITICAL (and sometimes irreversable) condition. Low B vitamins can disrupt your nerves and cause you to be paralyzed, wheelchair bound or worse!

Again...My liver values had NOTHING to do with WLS or lack of taking my vitamins, but I noticed the values were skewed from the first set of labs, and I pushed at my PCP to check it further,

Sadly, when livers are dead/damaged there often is NO cure but a transplant (maybe) when it fully fails.
Be smart, be healthy, and enjoy your WLS.
Good luck to you all...
Warmly,
Jackie

Kathleen F.
on 6/25/11 2:55 pm, edited 1/27/12 8:52 am
I am so sorry about your liver. I know how devastating that can be. [edited to remove personal information] Don't give up, there is still hope. Can you try taking milk thistle to help support your liver until you can get a transplant?

yarravalley95
on 6/25/11 10:35 pm - MD
Dear Jackie,
I've always liked your posts, but to read this one made me feel really sad. I am so sorry to hear of your liver failure. What a terrible thing to have to endure. I hope and pray that, if you end up needing a transplant, that it will happen quickly. Please take care of yourself (I know you will) and keep us posted on your progress.
Sincerely,
Nancy

HW: 275 
SW: 241 
CW: 178
GW: 125

martitalinda
on 6/26/11 1:10 am
 (((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))) again thank you so very much for reaching out and sharing your very personal story and bringing our attention to these important matters.  Thank you again for reaching out to my DD and sharing your experiences and thank you for being you ... a strong and lovely woman willing to share in such a positive manner even when you yourself are going through .... I hope and wish for a resolution to your liver failure ... I will keep you in my thoughts and my prayers...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

MzSunshines
on 6/26/11 3:32 am
Huggs sweetie may the lord always be with you!!!!

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/26/11 5:37 am
I hope you can get a new liver when you need one - so sorry to hear this!  thanks for posting the info, it's excellent.

(((((((Jackie)))))) 

hugs, from another Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/26/11 6:50 am
 I'm sorry you are dealing with this. 

You make several very important points in your post, and I hope many pre and post ops read here. Folks often post that their doctor says their labs are "great", but have not idea what any values actually are, and if they haven't had 18+ vials of blood drawn for them they DON'T have the full picture, and they CANNOT rely on the doctor or surgeon to thoroughly read them, and identify troubling trends. Docs are looking for things clearly out of range, and therefor "flagged" by the lab. Frankly, we are already in troubled waters by the time something is that out of whack.

Tylenol is something that people also seem unaware how toxic it can be, and RNY folks should be particularly aware since they cannot takes any type of NSAID for pain. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is one of the most common pharmaceuticals associated with both intentional and unintentional poisoning, in the US and worldwide. Acetaminophen overdose usually has no symptoms at first, but is one reason to NEVER exceed the dosing on the instructions. 

Of you course you know this stuff, I'm just putting it in here for any newbs that may be reading here. I'm hopeful that you have caught and identified the problems early enough that you have enough function left to avoid future trasnplant. I wish you the best.

Most Active