well, I finally did it -= I got a wig

rbb825
on 6/11/11 1:52 pm - Suffern, NY
Well, I did it.   I went today with my sister-in-law to a wig salon about a half an hour from my house in Bergen County, NJ.  I finally broke down after seeing pictures of what I look like after losing most of my hair after my 4 surgeries this past winter.  Well, I have to get used to it but I think I actually like it.  It is comfortable.

The place was nice and professional.  They measured my head first and put this sock like thing on my head and proceeded to try on about 30 different styles.  Low and behold the one that I turned out liking was the first one I tried on. Wouldnt' you figure.  There were lots I liked on the maniquins but they were just way too much hair for me.  I have a small, thin face and have always had very thin hair so if I all of a sudden showed up with this thick head of hair it would look really fake plus lots of them just looked way too over powering.

After I tried them on and decided on the one I liked, they then cut it and styled it on my head the way I like it.  The underneath is hand made but the hair is synthetic.  So, it is a really good wig but it isn't human hair since those were well over a $1,000.  This was pretty expensive too but my brother, sister in law, dad and his wife paid for it and wanted me to get something really well made and that will last for quite some time.  They said this should last about 2 to 2 1/2 years if it taken care of properly.

I posted a couple of pictures on my profile - it took me about a half an hour to figure out how to post a picture and how to make an album but I finally figured it out.  Then of course my picture was .bmp and OH can't handle bmp files so I had to go back and change it to jpg - luckily I know how to do that.

So, tomorrow will be my first day out with people I know, so we shall see what there reactions are.  Keep your fingers crossed that is goes okay.

For anyone that lives in the NY/NJ area that is interested - here is a link to the wig salon that I went to.

Park Ridge Wig Center

Tammy G.
on 6/11/11 2:03 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
You look great!!
Ladytazz
on 6/11/11 2:05 pm
 That looks very good.  I honestly couldn't tell it was a wig if I didn't know.  You look great!

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

martitalinda
on 6/11/11 2:25 pm
 My beautiful sista ... step out there and rock your wig ... it is yours to wear independent of anyone's reaction.  If you like it rock it....  I read your post the other day but was afraid to reach out and tell you that I work with hair all the time... we have tons of clients coming to our shop including VIPs and people with no hairloss problem at all wanting to either add extensions to their hair or purchase to wigs our custom made lace units  just because they either like the look or the feel or they just want a change for the day... I never disclose the name of my shop nor market any products online although I have given away a lot of hair units to several of my friends here and even did the hair of one member the pictures of which were shared on my OH Group Living Pretty - Share-it!...

I saw your picture and you look GORGEOUS.... have you considered a lace front or full lace wig? they are awesome and much lighter than the regular wigs and you can part them any way you want.  I wanted to post and tell you to send me your measurement and color preference and I would make you one lace unit  free of charge but then I shied away from it although my friend Fini had encouraged me to post to you when I said to her I wish I could offer my help to this poster... the offer is still there...

Otherwisethere are excellent places online and in the stores to purchase natural looking lace front or full lace pieces ....  it offers a natural look and trust tons of people from blondes, to brunettes, dark. curly, kinky any texture hair walk around with beautiful manes which are either lace untis or extensions weaved or beaded into their own hair .... I LOVE EXTENSIONS.... I can be using my very own short hair today and I just stopped to rest my fingers for a bit becuase right now I am weaving long extensions into my hair ....

Have fun with it ... take care and condition your hair under it ... and take care of the wig too... I do not know whether you purchased human or synthetic hair but on the site that I am willing to provide you the link to IF YOU ARE INTERESTED  you can find excellent products to maintain both types of hair ... I basically stick with high end top quality Mona or Remi human hair....

If you are interested I will PM you the link to an excellent source to purchase these products online at a much lower cost and excellent quality too...

RELAX... ENJOY YOUR HAIR ... it is on your head and it is no one elses business to react or not react to it!!!! You look gorgeous....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Judi J.
on 6/11/11 9:27 pm - MN
It looks terrific! very flattering and I would never have known it was a wig. How awesome is your family to want to help you this way too?

well done!!!
BuckeyeGirl
on 6/11/11 9:52 pm - TN
Very thoughtful gift from the family! It looks great! Enjoy!

Lindsey

Carpe Diem
on 6/11/11 10:37 pm - Canada
You're just beautiful. Looking at you I'd never know that wasn't your head of hair, and you are wearing the colour I've been trying to achieve on my own head for the past 10 years! Lol

Your hair is great but more than the aesthetics of it, it's such a testament of the love from family with which you are so clearly blessed.

ML, would you mind explaining what "lace fronts" and "lace pieces" are? I've got long, thick hair but over the past few years the hair at the front/top of my hair has been thinning (so that in the right light and the day after washing you can see some of my scalp) and my parts are widening. The caiuse of my gradual hair loss may be due to low thyroid. No one in my family has had to deal with it but anyway....I digress. I don't think this gradual hairloss wil stop, and God only knows what will happen after surgery, so any info I could get in preparation would be much appreciated. Thanks!
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/12/11 12:22 am
Looks great.  Glad you did it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 12:30 am
 It looks great! The one you chose looks very natural on you. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 2:04 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
I can't tell it's a wig.
Most Active