You can't judge a thread by it's title. Or can you?

Amy R.
on 5/7/11 3:02 am
Okay, I've got a question for those of you that have been around a little while.  First though I better explain or someone is certainly going to take this the wrong way and I really don't want that.

Sometimes I come on OH with lots of time and have the luxury of reading through many threads.  Sometimes though, I'm only on for a minute and so have to pick and choose the threads I read and/or respond to due to time constraints.  I find that in this situation, I invariably skip over certain threads without reading them (for a variety of reasons).  I think others may do this too.

It's a touchy subject, because everyone wants and deserves to be heard. I was thinking that maybe if we posted the types of threads we skip over, it will help newbies in phrasing their topic names, etc, and thus increase the number of hits (and answers) they receive.  IE, someone using a somewhat generic thread title may actually have a pretty intricate question, but their post is skipped over by me and maybe others because the title is so vague. Should they add a little more description, they would probably get more feedback.

Phew.  Having said more than I meant to, I'll get to the real question.  What threads do you most often skip over and if  you feel like sharing with us, why do you skip them?  Lets help newer folks understand WHY we do what we do.  I generally pass by most of the following:

Any thread referring to a stall or plateau by someone under 1 year out
TMI threads (I can't stand those and have learned to believe folks when they say it's TMI)
When Can I Eat  _____?   (follow your docs plan, or call your doc)
What meds can I Take for  _____ (again, a doc needs to answer this probably)
What surgery is best?
RNY or Sleeve?  (we get more of this on the RNY board than you would even believe)
Complaints about the Liquid Diet  (it's part of the process, and most of us lived through it)
Complaints about Protein tastes (just pretend it's medicine and get it down)
ANYTHING that has been asked and answered within the last few pages of posts (read!)

Alrighty, there's the parameters I've perhaps unfortunately developed around reading/answering threads.  Don't leave me hanging out to dry here.      =)         What are yours?

Hope everyone has a great day and an INCREDIBLE Mother's Day tomorrow.
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 3:28 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Most of the threads you have stated above except for the WLS VS WLS threads. I think everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Another thread title that annoys me is the, " 889 pounds lost forever " threads......
Helen S.
on 5/7/11 4:17 am - TX
I'm still in the searching, learning process so I'm probably one of the annoying ones who asks the questions that have been answered a gazillion times. lol But I think being very specific about a question is helpful so that unless someone really want to address it, they can skip it and go on to something they are interested in reading or responding to. I've learned so much from this board and I'm soooooo thankful I found it. It's all helping IMMENSELY with my decision process!
Thanks to everyone! :)
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 4:31 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Have you checked out my Failed band group ?

The link is in my siggy.
Helen S.
on 5/7/11 9:31 am - TX
No, I haven't but I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks Pumpkin!
Amy R.
on 5/7/11 5:14 am
I think everyone is entitled to my opinion.

And so we are, Pump,and so we are. 

And I always like reading your opinions.  Maybe I shouldn't have put the surgery vs surgery thread as an example.  Those can actually be fun.  And funny.  And in all actuality, if I see a thread  like that with a few thousand hits you can bet I'm checking it out.

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 5:20 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
I'm always there for a good surgery VS surgery thread ESPECIALLY if it involves me sharing my band experience with newbies.

PLUS.......It gives me an opportunity to ***** out my new group
www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/discussion/

About

Because the LapBand and the Realize band are heavily marketed products often presented at sales pitch meetings called "seminars," many people approach weight loss surgery hearing only the advertising agency hype that the manufacturers pay for and the "success stories" that the surgeons selling this product want to present to potential patients.

This board is for the other side of that story.

Bootssie
on 5/7/11 4:34 am - CA
RNY on 12/17/10 with
I tend to skip over the vague subject titles such as Help, OMG, Question, etc. It would be nice if everyone could put at least the general idea of the post.
ladyquenn
on 5/7/11 5:21 am - WV
I think you hit it right on the head. I used to try to read the what foods, what meds, etc but all I did was get upset because if they didn't learn that from their docs so they must have crappy docs. After reflecting back to my pre-op classes, that ticked me off because people kept asking question they answered 3 minutes earlier, I realized that most people just don't pay attention unless you are speaking just to them. Even then learning is a hot or miss thing.

What surgery is best? Please people there is no best, there is only best for you.
RNY or Sleeve?  Ditto
Complaints about the Liquid Diet, suggestions to make it better I'm good with.
Complaints about Protein tastes, again asking for brand or recipe suggestions good.
And last big one, I the question was answered on the same page or two, I know the OH search sucks, Ive tried to use it, but please read at least one page first.
I Have a Problem or It Hurts gets skipped by me, Gas problem, Shoulder pain or Vitamins Getting Stuck will get my attention more.

I also like the WOW and Had Great Day. Those perk me up when down.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
Amy R.
on 5/7/11 8:49 am
I also like the WOW and Had Great Day. Those perk me up when down.

Those are my favorites! I love the positive ones, and the anniversay ones too (even those where the folks talk about what issues they have had - it helps me to know what to look out for).  So neat to see the "Happy" threads.......
Most Active