Thinking about weight loss surgery? Listen to this.

hercules411
on 4/25/11 12:19 pm, edited 4/25/11 12:38 pm
MORE PEOPLE MAY QUALIFY FOR WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY UNDER FDA GUIDELINES.

Below is a link to a program heard on National Public Radio called Sound Medicine.

Interview: Robin Blackstone, MD, bariatric surgeon
President-elect of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery

The International Diabetes Foundation now recommends bariatric surgery to help obese patients control their blood sugar.

Today bariatric surgeon Robin Blackstone, MD, chats with Sound Medicine’s Steve Bogdewic, PhD, about recent studies showing that laparoscopic gastric bypass procedures often result in better control of diabetes – as well as weight-loss. Dr. Blackstone is president-elect of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

Link:

soundmedicine.iu.edu/segment/2825/Bariatric-Surgery-to-Contr ol-Diabetes
Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

katieh67
on 4/25/11 3:34 pm - xenia, OH
my surgery helped me I was headed right for diabeties
aaaaaaa
on 4/25/11 10:33 pm
 Your posts are always so informative and helpful! Keep it up!! :D

MarilynT
on 4/25/11 11:04 pm
Was listening to Dr. Oz yesterday on Oprah radio; he had Neil Barnard, MD on as a guest. Dr. Barnard sited a study done in Rome where obese diabetics who were given "gastric bypass" (Dr.Barnard did not specify the type) had a 87% "remission" (they didn't call it cure 'cuz not enough time had elapsed from time of surgery) in their diabetes. The study is still tracking those patients to see if indeed it will turn out to be a "cure".

Of course, Dr. Barnard was not advocating surgery; he used some other info from the study to support his own research and diabetes "cure" program.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Bill B.
on 4/25/11 11:24 pm - NJ
Fortunately, my insurance carrier (Aetna) only requires the patient to have a 35 or over BMI and they are approved. This process so far has been relatively easy.

Most Active