It so far away

newmerightnow
on 4/20/11 11:11 am - AK
My surgery isn’t until September and it seems so far away. It seems like that’s all I can think about. I want the surgery so bad. I almost feel like I am sitting around waiting for my new life to begin. Did anyone else feel this way before they went to surgery?
Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 11:16 am, edited 4/20/11 11:16 am
I ended up waiting eight months for my surgery

What I did while I waited....

I found my surgery-specific forum here on OH.

I learned EVERYTHING I could about what it was like post-op

Since I got the RNY I began to practice some of the pouch-rules.

I chewed my bites very thoroughly
I did not drink with my meals or thirty minutes after
I stopped the "evil whites" ..... white simple carbs
I started trying protein drink samples
I started reading labels.
I started eating serving sizes according to the labels
I stopped my biggest trigger foods (sodas, reeses)
I made note of all the things the new ops panic about and resolved to KNOW what was coming so I would not panic myself.

The more I knew, the better I was.

My postop time was more about recuperation from an operation than it was about deprivation. Because I'd detoxed from simple carbs and caffeine long before, since I knew what to expect, since I'd already lost a good amount of weight in advance. It was not about food deprivation, and following so many new rules it made my head spin.... it was just a postop set of instructions, nothing more.

You'll get there....the clock stops for no one..

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

newmerightnow
on 4/20/11 1:14 pm - AK
Thanks so much, I will give it a try. I just started Weigh****chers yesterday.
kdunn
on 4/20/11 12:06 pm - Goodlettsville, TN
It will be here before you know it.  I also have been cutting back before I got approved.  Soda was the hardest to stop.  Crystal Light is my new best friend.  Hang in there.  Cut back slowly.  I am currently in the 4 week liquid pre-op stage.  It is hard, but to get on the scales and see 15 pounds lost in 1 week was exciting.  You can do it also.
Work-in-Progress
on 4/20/11 12:54 pm
I've been waiting since November, and my surgery isn't scheduled until the 18th of May.... Follow LL's advice: ask questions,read, take LOTS of notes, and learn all you can. Also, call the surgeons office and ask if they have a cancellation list, if they do, be sure to get on the list. I did, and was called on the 10th of March offering me a date of March 13th. My office was currently being audited and there was no possible way for me to take the cancelled appointment, and they've yet to offer me another cancelled appointment.......  All in all, I am still grateful that I have a date when there are Soooo many who have been denied.
Nell R.
on 4/20/11 1:40 pm - Hewitt, TX
I had a 9 month wait, I had to get some things taken care of first like, mammogram, colonoscopy, stress test, and some other things so that helped take up the time...yeah it was frustrating but thinking about it now it went pretty quickly and here I am already 9 months out. Hang in there Sept. will be here before you know it!

Amber L.
on 4/20/11 7:34 pm - Sweden
Oh, I feel ya. I was supposed to be getting RNY sometime in May, but my doctors wanted me to get my gall bladder removed first. They initially told me I needed to wait 2 months, which made May perfect. Now they are telling me the wait is 3 months which pushes me to June. NOW I discover there are no surgeries scheduled in the summer to allow for vacations and the covering of emergency procedures. This puts me in late August or early September at the EARLIEST. This screws up all of my fall plans.

HOWEVER... the only thing we can control is what we do with the time we have. Practice healthier habits. Enjoy your summer. We can do this! You're not alone.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

newmerightnow
on 4/21/11 1:25 am - AK
Thanks, Amber. I am just so excited to start my new life.
MsBatt
on 4/21/11 2:39 am
Research EVERYTHING. Not just the surgery you've chosen---learn about all of them. (You might change your mind.) Learn about how the body works, how you metabolize foods NOW versus how you will post-op. Study up on any health issues you have, or that run in your family. Learn about vitamins. Learn about proteins, carbs (simple versus complex), fats---EVERYTHING.

The more knowledge you have going into surgery, the more likely you are to be happy AFTER surgery.
Most Active