How long in the hospital

newmerightnow
on 4/16/11 12:28 pm - AK
How long does a person usually stay in the hospital for gastric bypass surgery? My time isn’t until September, but I have so many questions.  I just don’t know what to expect.
Tracy M.
on 4/16/11 12:30 pm - KY
I just had my surgery a little over 3 weeks ago and I was in for 2 days. Had surgery on Tuesday and came home Thursday afternoon.

Tracy

Highest known weight- 512
Surgery weight-425
Current Weight- 260

newmerightnow
on 4/16/11 12:42 pm - AK
Thanks Tracy. Have you had any hunger pains? Someone said they didn't feel hungrey for days.
Nell R.
on 4/16/11 12:32 pm - Hewitt, TX
I only had to stay one night.

newmerightnow
on 4/16/11 12:43 pm - AK
Thanks, Nell.
Mary Catherine
on 4/16/11 12:44 pm
 I stayed two nights, but would have been fine to come home after one night.  I had surgery on Tuesday, came home on Thursday, and went back to work the following Monday.  I have never  had any hunger since then in 2007.  No complicationsand lost weight quickly and easily.
Tracy M.
on 4/16/11 12:58 pm - KY
I haven't had much hunger a all. I don't know how anyone could get hungry shoving all those pills down their throat everyday..lol it's a bit overwhelming for me..plus the water and protein shakes..Right now i am mainly living on protein shakes and very little else. I want the taste but I am not really feeling hungry. When I get like that I want something salty and I use pureed chili with shredded cheese and sour cream or something along those lines..My protein shakes are sweet so I definitely try to stay away from anything sweet. I have to have them so I drink them...When I get off of the pureed diet and can actually have food I want some beef jerky. I will use that as a staple. The only food I can't really tolerate right now are eggs. They cause a little tightness and pain in my pouch so I don't eat them unless they are very very moist.

Tracy

Highest known weight- 512
Surgery weight-425
Current Weight- 260

Lorrainecma
on 4/16/11 10:16 pm, edited 4/16/11 10:18 pm
Two days in the hospital, and back to work after one week.

I don't think that you will have any real hunger, but there is head hunger. For the most part, you will not be hungry.

Good luck. Make sure you have a good surgeon.
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 11:20 pm - Bayonne, NJ
For my RNY, 2 days. For my DS revision, 5 days.

I went back to work about 2 weeks after RNY, almost 6 weeks after the revision.
Meg_S
on 4/17/11 12:30 am - Natick, MA
I think it's normally two nights, possibly three.

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

Most Active