Life's lessons

Susan S.
on 3/31/11 2:05 am - Roselle, NJ
I lost my only sister three years ago today.  She was a morbidly obese diabetic just like me......had just turned 50....the age I am now.....and her death was a godsend as she was suffering terribly.   Every time I think I'm too tired for the gym I remember her in restraints on a respirator fighting to get up, not understanding what had happened to her.   I had my annual bloods drawn today......filling 24 vials......remembering all the blood studies I had to have when I was a poorly controlled diabetic with fatty liver syndrome and dangerous lipid levels.    WLS saved my life.    Don't take for granted the gift we've been given.    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Katari
on 3/31/11 2:25 am - OR
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think we sometimes forget the reasons WHY we had the surgery, we get so caught up in numbers and not the health benefits. We complain about stalls, not losing fast enough, wanting to be that "goal" number that we don't remember what made us want the surgery in the first place.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

CarolineM
on 3/31/11 2:29 am
Thank you for posting this. It's too easy to focus on surface things like loose skin and forget the
real reason I had this done -- my health. I'm so grateful for the second chance I've been given.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Caroline 
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

amymitches
on 3/31/11 2:32 am - Beverly, MA
Wow, thanks for the reminder of how lucky we really are

codlover
on 3/31/11 2:46 am - Celina, OH
Thanks Susan !!!!!!! Just lost my Mother less than 2 months ago and I FEEL your pain.
We have been Blessed with our special gift. We are still here because we have a job to do. I think you know what your job is and doing it !!!!!!!!!!!
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
luciessa
on 3/31/11 2:54 am
I'm sorry for the painful reminder that anniversaries are. What a huge gift she left you. And with your generous and beautifully expressed advice to us YOU are a gift too. God bless.
gottwins2
on 3/31/11 3:00 am
Hi Susan,
   I was thinking about you today. I was actually going to send you a message, so it is a little ironic that you posted this.
    I just wanted to thank you for your posts about your sister as well as the reminders that a morbidly obese 40 year old has the same chance of making it to 50 as a 40 yo woman diagnosed with breast cancer. That ha**** home for me since my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 41. When I was going through the process of getting approved and was a little nervous about my choice, I saw one of your posts about your sister and the odds of living to 50, and I thought I don't want to be dead in 10 years and I don't want to die from breast cancer(odds increased w/family history and obesity). Anyhow, your message helped me to know that I was doing the right thing. Keep telling us about your sister. Even though you lost her, you are helping her to still make a difference in the lives of others, including mine. I am so sorry for your loss.
Josie

Wisdom isn't simply knowledge, it's knowledge with a little age thrown in!

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 3:03 am
Thank you for the reminder Susan---our surgeries are a gift not to be taken for granted.  Best wishes--
dridlen
on 3/31/11 3:30 am - gillette, WY
 Thank you for this reminder. I am sorry for your loss but am happy you are taking a sad situation and using it for good! Keep up the great work.

Dottie
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
236 (highest)/228 (at surgery)/136.8(currently)

mollypitcher08
on 3/31/11 3:42 am
Susan: Your sister is very much with you (alive) in spirit every time you post telling your story and hers.  I am sure wherever she is now, she is without pain, happy  and looking at you with both admiration and love, too.  You are always on OH helping others with your valuable experiences and information.  Thank you for this always remember: love never dies, it is in our hearts and minds forever (I made this up but truly I think I've heard similar sentiments!) Take good care and thanks again for the reminders of one being fortunate enough to be saved by WLS also.
Most Active