Eating Out

kyzze
on 5/18/16 12:07 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

What do you do if you eat out somewhere or order take out and you can't find the nutritional value? Do you just try to find something comparable and use that? For example I ordered chinese food with shrimp, scallops and squid with vegetables and no rice rice but I don't know what to use for nutritional value. How do you guys handle this? (please don't say that I should not have eaten it, that was not an option) I figure this comes up for everyone from time to time so I was wondering how some of you more expreienced sleevers handle this.

Kyzze

White Dove
on 5/18/16 2:31 am - Warren, OH

You type the food into MyFitnessPal.  When I typed in shrimp, scallops and squid I got Trader Joes version at 119 calories a cup.  I also got other versions.

MyFitnessPal always has something close enough for me to use.  If it is not there then create your own recipe in MyFitnessPal and get as close as you can to what you ate.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kyzze
on 5/18/16 3:00 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thanks! I will do that. 

Kyzze

KansasPrincess
on 5/18/16 5:10 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

when eating out I always try to find something that I know will be protein packed and grilled. most places I've found will give you a chicken sandwich no bun or a soup and side salad. and the egg drop soup at a Chinese restaurant I my go to.

alouisa63
on 5/18/16 7:00 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Chinese was one of the easiest for me to eat out!  I would have ordered your dish with no thickener in the sauce and no rice (or just not eat the rice).  I would eat the seafood and log the amount (normally 3 oz for me ) in MFP.   One dinner will give me 3 -4 meals :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/18/16 8:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

In general, there seem to be a few good rules for finding things that are OK.

• No carbs (or don't eat them)-- buns, tortillas, rice, etc.

• Meat-centric.

• Baked or grilled, not fried.

• Veggies last.

Most places it's not too hard to find something that fits those. Sandwich or burger without the bun, meat or fish, that sort of thing. From there, you can just search for the ingredients in MFP and use that to make a good guess.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kyzze
on 5/18/16 6:58 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Good point. Thanks! 

Kyzze