OA Anyone?

suzyq584
on 10/24/15 11:52 am

Has anyone participated in Overeaters Anonymous? I know that I need to add some sort of mental support system to my plan and have not had any luck finding a therapist/counselor that specializes in VSG or bariatric surgery/overeating etc...in general.

I'm investigating OA but (and I hope this doesn't offend anyone!) after reading the basic information about them am worried it is more religious or higher power based which is not what I'm looking for.

What I am looking for is a face to face meeting situation very similar to what we have here where questions can be asked, stories shared, experiences discussed, tricks and tips offered, etc...

Any input would be great!!

BTW...I've already attended my surgeon's support group and it was not all that great. Many people on their soap boxes not even related to weight loss, surgery or the like.

Thanks!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/15 12:44 pm

I did go to OA many years ago but in that group there did not seem to be anyone who was succeeding. Does not mean other groups are the same. It was not overly religious but a higher power was mentioned. I too am looking for something like you are and can find nothing closer than an hour from my home. Wonder if your hospital has one other than the surgeons actual group. Good luck.

psychoticparrot
on 10/24/15 1:23 pm

I attend OA, although not as often as I should. Back in the day, the original founders of AA and all its offshoots did base their 12-step program on a reliance-on-god philosophy. Over the years, however, in order to embrace the increasing diversity of its members, they changed their concept of "higher power" to mean anything that the individual member considers as "greater than him/herself." That can be god, Buddha, even the OA group itself. The idea of the higher power helps the member feel like he's not alone, that he can place some of the burden of his addiction on something or someone who is stronger than he is. For me, that is the Tao.

It's true that the Christian god is often mentioned by individual members at meetings. I'm an atheist Taoist, but this god-talk doesn't bother me. I especially enjoyed when one member said, "I asked God to help me, and she did." If this sort of thing bothers you, then OA is probably not for you. I'm sort of a live-and-let-live person, and as long as someone isn't trying to shove religion down my throat, I'm okay with it. And "doing the work" of following the 12 steps helps me not only to lose weight, but to become a better person.

OA addresses the problem of addiction rather than the addicting substance. I agree with OA's philosophy that for many people, junk food is an addiction as real as alcohol and drug addiction. It's not a give-and-take kind of meeting. Usually an aspect of recovery is reviewed, then individual members volunteer accounts of progress (and failures!) in adhering to those steps. You don't have to talk if you don't want to. The group attitude is nonjudgmental, no matter if you've lost 100 pounds or gained them.

The only "tricks and tips" offered regarding food are those that a member might volunteer while relating their experiences. In fact, mention of specific addictive-type foods is generally frowned upon, unless it has a direct bearing on something that a member wants to talk about.

I find that OA and this site offer two very different but equally supportive approaches to helping people trying to lose weight and that have problems with junk carbs. For me it's an extremely beneficial combination.

There are OA meetings everywhere. I'm going to Nicaragua this winter. I've checked and there is even a regular OA meeting (Spanish/English) in Managua, where I'll be staying. You can try attending a few meetings close to your home and see what it's all about. I would suggest attending for at least a few weeks before deciding whether or not it's for you. There's no sign-up, no fees, and no pressure.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

suzyq584
on 10/24/15 3:24 pm

"I'm sort of a live-and-let-live person, and as long as someone isn't trying to shove religion down my throat, I'm okay with it."

I completely agree with this statement which is why I asked the question about OA. Just because I personally don't participate in organized religion does not mean it is not right for others. But, knowing that about myself means I know I wouldn't be happy in an "organized religion" type of meeting.

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Duetoprivacy
on 10/24/15 1:52 pm

I'm not into the higher power part of OA either. I went to a couple of meetings a few years ago and it wasn't my scene. There has to be a good therapist who has experience with eating disorders in your area. So many of the underlying conditions overlap that many of them may have good insight for someone working with their VGS even if they don't have WLS listed under their specialties.

I am a firm believer in therapists who challenge you. It took me a couple of tries to find someone that I really clicked with and who challenged me to re-frame some deeply ingrained thought patterns in a way that helped me process stress differently. My nutritionist has a list of therapists that she recommends for WLS patients- maybe your surgeon's nutritionist has some recommendations?

Good luck. Changing negative thinking patterns and emotional reactions is the best work anyone can do for themselves.

suzyq584
on 10/24/15 3:26 pm

Great suggestion...I'll ask my RN/nutritionist if she has any recommendations. Unfortunately, all I have found on my own are quacks!

HealthyBee
on 10/25/15 3:22 pm
VSG on 08/03/15

I belonged to OA for 13 years before I decided to have my VSG. I was able to lose 70 pounds following a very rigid food plan, and keep it off for 10 years. For me, it's true that flour and sugar are addictive substances. One thing I found in several different OA groups I belonged to, is that in OA circles, it is very taboo to have WLS. They seemed to frown on those who "took the easy way out". I'm sure OA groups are not this way everywhere. I was just surprised at how many groups give off that vibe. Once I made the decision to leave OA, I started looking immediately into WLS to take off the 100 pounds I had gained after I "took that first bite". It was a very freeing choice for me. That being said, I learned excellent habits in OA like no flour, no sugar, 3 meals a day only, and tracking all my food. I wish you success with whatever support you choose. Support from those who've walked in your shoes makes all the difference.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/26/15 7:52 am

Suzy, you take what you need at an OA meeting and leave the rest alone. It is not harmful! You simply can sit in and not say a word and still feel supported in your commonality. No one shoves religion down your throat that is for sure - it's not the least bit religious! Everyone has their own beliefs about a "higher power" - if any.

Never a good idea to feel isolated in our struggles with food.

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Tracy D.
on 10/26/15 11:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've been in OA for over 10 years - long before I had WLS and I'll continue to attend. OA is not a support group and it's not therapy; it's a recovery program for people with food addiction. People will share their experience, strength and hope in recovery. But most of them haven't had weight loss surgery and it's not a "diet-and-calories club". You aren't going to get tips or tricks about how to lose weight. What you will get is advice on how to deal with the mental obsession with food. Something that will become much, much harder as you get further out from WLS.

Just like all 12 Step programs, it is based on the theory of a higher power but no one ever dictates what that looks like. Some people's high power is a book...or the group...or a deity they describe as God. For me it's my own spirit guide.

Every single group will have a different "feel" to it too. I tell people to give it a fair shake, go to several different meetings, see if one "clicks" and then keep on going. It's totally free, you'll meet great people who tell the same crazy stories you do about your effed up relationship with food, and you may even make some friends.

And if doesn't click fo you, well , you didn't waste a dime of money.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views