Newbie!!!!

MzSlimsleeve
on 4/24/15 12:29 am
with

HI Everyone!!! My name is Tiffany and I am new to the OH website and message board. I am scheduled to have surgery on Thursday May 7th 2015. Looking for any people who may have had surgery recently and or any others that may share the same surgery date as me!!  

Jamie L.
on 4/24/15 2:08 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

Yea!! Good for you.  I am one year out on June 2nd, so we are about a year apart, and for me it now seems like it has gone FAST (time and weight loss). I'm not sure where you are starting from but you will be where I am in no time.  The first few weeks were hard with all the stuff you can't eat but once I got through that, WOW.  I am so happy I did this!  Good Luck! I can't wait to see those "after" photos!

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!!!

Alit
on 4/24/15 2:45 am
VSG on 03/27/15

Hi Tiffany and welcome!  I hope you will find LOTS of support and inspiration here.  I have!  I am 4 weeks out from my VSG and feeling really good.  Can't wait to be off eating restrictions but down 41 lbs total so far (I lost 5 during pre-surgery classes, 15 during the 2 week liver shrink diet, and 21 since surgery)!  The first couple of weeks are rough, but since I've returned to work I've felt good!  Good luck and welcome to this amazing journey!!!

Ali

Age 40 HW 277 SW 257 M1 -21 M2 -10

TracieLeigh
on 4/24/15 2:59 am

Welcome, Tiffany! This site and the members have so much to offer. Like you I am pre-op, and I am hoping to have my surgery in August. (Just waiting on the official approval from my insurance now.) I will suggest to you what others have suggested to me - read blogs, the forums, and ask any questions that pop into your head. No one here judges and remember that we are all in the same boat. I wish you great success with your new tool and many prayers on surgery day!

Age: 27  Starting Weight: 309 lbs.  ~It's time to make a change for the better!~ 

MzSlimsleeve
on 4/24/15 4:34 am
with

Thanks everyone!!! Aww I feel the love   and honestly support like this I really could use as my family is not the greatest when it comes to backing me in my past (failed) efforts in weight loss nor are they overwhelmingly supportive of my decision to have VSG Surgery. Just some stats for now I am 5'6 and my highest weight 307 lbs since March 9th when I had my initial consult with my surgeon I weighted in at 281.5. This past tuesday at my results appointment I weighted in at 275. yay!!!! . I have heard nightmare stories about patients how they had such a hard time in the process of getting approved, scheduling appts ect. This is my story!!  I have started my pre op diet and have tried since my consult to limit carbs and sugars (my weakness) and have totally cut out sodas, coffee, and carbonated drinks. My insurance companies BCBSNC and BCBS Federal required no waiting period only 2 years of weight history, EGD/barium swallow study, psych eval, Chest X ray, labs, Ultrasounds, Pulmonary and Cardiac clearance. I was able to do all of the requirements within 3 weeks of my initial appointment and the paperwork was sent to my insurance companies -- within 3 days I was approved! I have pre op anesthesia appt May 5th which is before my surgery and that is the only thing I have left to complete. I have a few questions for some of you who have had surgery already. Are there any foods post op that you just can't eat anymore? I have a real problem with powdered protein -- to me it tastes horrible so I buy prepackaged/pre portioned high protein shakes which are much more expensive than the powdered formula in which I can make my own and save money at the same time... any tips to make it taste better? things to add? 

Gwen M.
on 4/24/15 5:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I haven't found any foods that I'm incapable of eating at this point.  Sometimes chicken breast can be uncomfortable if it's dry, since it's so dense.  But, really, that's the only thing that I have difficulty with.  

Nashua Nutrition sells protein shake samples - you might just need to experiment more with finding a powder you like.  My favorite is optimum nutrition double rich chocolate and I mix it with unsweetened almond milk.  The only things I add to that are flavorless.  Although sometimes I add a bit of mint chocolate cookie protein powder from Syntrax.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 4/24/15 4:38 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome!  This is a great place where a person can learn a lot!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PrayMore
on 4/24/15 2:14 pm

Congratulations!

As for the powdered protein, I tried many prepared drinks and powder. I like the 'Celebrate' brand of protein - vanilla and chocolate - the best. I actually make a protein coffee in the morning. I liked that over making shakes - just preference. You'll find something that you like. Shops like GNC and Vitamin Shoppe do have several types and brands of individual packets of powders to try so you don't waste your money buying the large tubs and then not liking them. 

At first, my sleeve was very sensitive to sugar, but that seems to be getting better all of the time (unfortunately!) I favor warm drinks over cold, but room temperature is fine too. I think that will keep getting better, too. (I'm just five months out.) Otherwise, I tolerate everything, although I haven't even tasted bread, pasta or anything like that. I stick to the lean dense protein, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, etc. 

For right after surgery, get some herbal teas to drink to get your liquids in.

Best wishes to you on your journey! No regrets for me - I'm so happy!  

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

PrayMore
on 4/24/15 2:19 pm

One more tip that I learned from OH: Make a slurry with the protein powder before adding to hot liquids. For instance, Unjury unflavored protein can't be mixed at temps over 140. Gets clumpy and won't mix. These are good to mix into broths, soups, chili, to get more protein in!

Instead, mix the powder with room temp or cold fluids first - then add it to the hot. It mixes so well and the taste may even disappear!

I do this to make my morning protein coffee. I mix my protein powder with a little unsweetened coconut milk and then add it to my coffee! Mixes right in! 

As you advance your stages of eating, you'll eat more protein-valued foods and may not even need to supplement with powder for too long!

But, I'm grateful for learning about the slurry from my OH friends!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 357 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 404 views