Doubting Family? Help!

amyvsg6614
on 7/11/14 3:26 pm
VSG on 06/06/14

My dad, step-mom, brother, mother-in-law and others did not want me to go through with this surgery.. When I was on my 2 week pre op diet, my mother in law was trying to tell me she knew someone who just had the surgery and died.. My dad and step mom kept telling me I was going to regret it because they know someone that looks "sick" now that she had the surgery and that I will have too much loose skin to be happy.. My brother just always asked me.. Are you sure you wanna do this? I am sure there were more "not so encouraging" comments but I just blocked them out of my mind.. I am now 5 weeks post and have lost 45lbs (counting the 2 weeks on pre op diet) and now my nick name is "skinny" and they love how I look and I look so good now.. Blah blah.. Seriously do not let ANYONE talk you out of this.. Not even your self.. You will be so happy you did this for your self.. I am only 5 weeks out and loving the results already! 

Nata-Sleeve
on 7/14/14 3:43 am

Thank you Amy! I am hearing similar stories from my family members. So annoying. But you are right, I cannot let them (or myself) confuse my decision. I am encouraged by your success. Congratulations on your 45 pound loss! Keep up the good work! 

HW: 310, SW:??? (7/22/14), GW: 175

elizjayjay
on 7/11/14 5:31 pm
VSG on 05/27/14

I understand. My skinny BFF was the same, "why can't you just diet, why this, people are not ok after this and all the people I know have had major problems". You will have times that people don't understand, and that is ok. It is up to you to do the surgery and up to you to make it work.

The first 4 days post op was not easy for me. The day after, I was sitting on the side of bed, with my husband holding the cold towel on my head and he asked if it was worth it. I did not answer. 6 weeks later, heck yes, would not change it for anything. It will be a challenge, it will be change. You no longer can eat and drink the way we all have in the past. But you will be ok. And you will feel great with the weight off. I am down 25 pounds and love it. I was carrying my computer and bag into work tonight, thinking how heavy it is. Then I remembered I lost more than that. And that is a great feeling. Now, don't take it personal when your friends and family don't commit on your weight loss. I am finding they are nervous about it. big steps but a great journey. Good luck!

Nata-Sleeve
on 7/14/14 3:45 am

Thanks Elizjayjay! Sorry to hear it was so rough for you afterward. I'm glad you're doing better now though! Congratulations on your 25 pound loss. :) 

HW: 310, SW:??? (7/22/14), GW: 175

CGCL
on 7/14/14 8:40 am
RNY on 02/19/15

My mom cried when I told her I was considering. She thought about it for a couple days and them came to the conclusion she'd rather I have surgery than take medications for the rest of my life. Today she said she supports me and just wants me to be healthy.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.