Almost 3 years out, still struggle with regain & the scale gives me the evil eye!!!

Dreamingofbeaches
on 7/11/14 3:24 pm
with

Thank you so much for sharing about this leg of your journey.  I am only 11 days post op and really trying to take the opportunity, provided by all of you vets, to learn through your experiences.  Best wishes with ditching that regain. I am confident you are up to the challenge. 

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

Shagdoll
on 7/11/14 4:28 pm

Hi Jen, being sleeved is still the best thing I could've ever done for myself. I would do it all over again if I have to. I just wish I would've listened to myself early out in maintenance to take care of this problem at the very beginning. I actually was taking care of it at the beginning but only for the first few months and then I just let it go. I guess it could happen to anybody at any point in time once.  

I'm sure you are not taking this post as a Debbie downer type post but instead to just be aware of how things can change so quickly once the weight comes off. I know several people who are kept their weight off so I know what's possible. A little more discipline and motivation can take people along way.  :)

Just keep making the most of your journey. You will not regret it. Best of luck to you!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Jules78
on 7/11/14 6:54 pm, edited 7/11/14 6:55 pm - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I love, love, love this post!!  Thank you so much for being so honest and open about your struggles.  I am only 10 weeks out and still enjoying the quick weight loss and reduced hunger.  To see something like this really gives me that wake up call that I need.  I know that you will lose every pound of that regain and keep it off!

youtube channel- silkiilocks

Shagdoll
on 7/14/14 1:59 am

Jules, the real trick once you hit maintenance is just to keep an eye on your weight.  When it creeps up a few pounds, get it off right away because it will usually come off as quick as is comes on.  I did that for a while and it wasnt that bad ... its getting off track for weeks and months at a time is when things get screwy.  This thing is possible but it does take work but I believe it's worth doing.  Best of luck to you!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

annarohr
on 7/11/14 8:34 pm

I hear ya!  I had VSG in 2009, then regain started in 2012 ish, with a vengeance.  Our sleeves stretch, they do.  UGH, so many of the people I started out with in 2009 as a group of VSG ers, we all regained, all of us.  some more than others.  And, the ones how regained the less fought the hardest.  The restriction that limits you to a few spoons here and there goes away. 

Anyways, I appreciate your post, I know exactly where you are coming from, because that's right where I am at. 

As for me, I will be doing a DS revision next month with Dr. Ungson, one more chance at this.  Good luck to all...!!!! 

Shagdoll
on 7/14/14 2:01 am

Best of luck to you and whatever you feel you have to do, do it!  Please keep us posted on your progress.  We dont get a lot of people on the boards much anymore 2-3 and more years out!

Last night, I ate a chicken thigh for dinner and I was stuffed.  So I know we can still do this.  For me, it's the grazing and snacking and I just have to come to the realization that the pounds dont melt off like they did right after surgery.  It's all good though.   :)

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Stacy_WLS
on 7/11/14 9:53 pm

Great post.  Thank you for the honesty!  

This is truly terrifying to me.  Making us all aware of the long term commitment required is really helpful!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Shagdoll
on 7/14/14 2:02 am

Stacy, keep up your workouts ... keep up the mindful eating and being aware of all your actions.  You will go very far with this.  You've done awesome so far!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Nmmsg
on 7/11/14 10:44 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Oh, Jenn- I hear you!  Even at a year out, if I gain 3-5 lbs I go to panic mode.  It is not easy to lose, but at least now I am trying to make sure I hold that line.  We were on a business trip this week with another next week.  I have 3 days to take off the 5lbs from last week before we leave again for 4 days.  This was with carrying protein bars and shakes with me.  Again. WLS surgery is not easy. Just makes it possible.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Shagdoll
on 7/14/14 2:04 am

Hi Nancy, my weight fluctuations so much that I couldn't freak out on 3-5 pounds.  I would get that TOM and go up 8 pounds but a week later, it would go back down.  BUT I should have done something more drastic after 10 pounds.  That really is the mark for me as far as going too far.  It's just another day in this WL journey for us ... we just gotta keep going.  Sounds like you are!!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 196 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views