Still trying to figure this whole eating thing out

husbandfatherandfrien
d14

on 7/11/14 4:21 am

So, i occasionally read the what are you eating today VSG thread and I have a question for some of you all.  I am still trying to get used to eating.  It has not been going well and I won't say I am getting frustrated but I just need some help.  My question:  how do you find time to drink the fluid necessary to stay hydrated and still eat something every two hours.  I see many people who have a snack between breakfast and lunch and then again between lunch and dinner.  It takes me a half hour to eat even the smallest things.  Then I cant drink anything for an hour.  So, thats 1.5 hours elapsed.  Then, I only have half an hour to try to drink 15 to 20 oz of water before its snack or next meal time.  I am pretty sure at this point I am dehydrating myself (not a lot, but probably not getting as much liquid as I am supposed too).  So, one of the things my Dr. said was to not drink my calories.  Does that include protein drinks?  I mean, if I drink a protein drink as a snack, is that counting towards my liquid intake.  It seems to be the only way I can get all the protein I need but I swear I read I need to get 80oz of water as well.  So, I am just going crazy trying to find time to do it all and still work.  Sorry if this was rant worthy, just still trying to figure this whole thing out.

March 2014 (366lbs) - May 29 2014 surgery date VSG (350lbs) - June 9 2014 (329lbs)

civilmomma
on 7/11/14 4:29 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I would switch to protein drinks for your snacks...protein and hydration may be better than more solids and less time to drink fluids.

My NUT's plan is only 3 meals a day and milk or protein drinks between meals plus all the water.

I have breakfast at 7, start drinking water at 745 after daycare drop off, milk at 930, more water until 1115,  lunch at 1145, water at 1245, water water water, protein drink at 4ish, water, dinner at 630, more water at 730, milk or a popsicle at 9ish, more water, then bedtime.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

husbandfatherandfrien
d14

on 7/11/14 4:36 am

Well, that definitely spells it out pretty well.  Thank you.  So, what type of milk are you drinking?  Is it more about protein in the milk or about trying to get the fewer calories with at least some protein.  I guess I mean are you drinking skim milk or a percentage milk?  Also, since you seem to have this down pretty well, I am really confused on oatmeal.  What did your nutritionist say about oatmeal.  It was listed as something that was good to eat in the plan that my nut gave me but I have read some very negative stuff on here about eating it.  Do you have any thoughts on it or has your nutritionist talked to you about it?  Truly appreciate your response.

March 2014 (366lbs) - May 29 2014 surgery date VSG (350lbs) - June 9 2014 (329lbs)

oufanindallas
on 7/11/14 5:06 am - Little Elm, TX
VSG on 07/07/14

Check out zero carb iso pure, it's a 20 oz bottle and has 40 grams of protein.  Make sure they are cold, not as good when they are warm.  I'm less than a week out and having to figure out ways to get my protein in.  I'm just not hungry.  What I've done is gone to the Chinese food place and gotten WonTon soup and adding protein powder to the soup and drink that, minus the wontons.  I also got some hot and sour soup.  I have a Ninja blender and it does a great job of puree so it goes down smooth and mixes the protein powder in really good.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/11/14 5:50 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's very frustrating in the beginning.  The logistics were rolling around in my head for weeks until I finally found what works for me  

Yes, protein drinks count towards your liquids.  My doctor recommends that I have one protein shake daily which I do for breakfast.  This will probably continue indefinitely or until I reach maintenance.   I read that you're eating every two hours and I'm guessing that is upon your plan's recommendations.  That does make getting fluids in more challenging.  

I have three meals per day plus a snack of Greek yogurt in the afternoon.  After I eat a dense protein meal, I try to wait an hour until I drink any fluids.  The dense protein keeps me full so I don't need additional snacks during the day.  Although they recommend in the beginning not to drink 30 minutes prior to a meal, I've relaxed that rule over time.  I don't drink while I eat, but I drink up to when I eat since it gets flushed through your sleeve via the pyloric valve.

In the beginning it's also difficult to drink large gulps of fluids at a time.  Your stomach will relax over time and you'l find it easier to down tha****er.   I know it's tough right now, but you will develop a pattern that works for you.  DO count those protein drinks as fluid intake and you'll see that you're probably meeting your 80 ounce goal more than you think.

Good luck to you.  You're asking all the right questions.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

husbandfatherandfrien
d14

on 7/11/14 5:57 am

Great response.  Much appreciated.  I actually haven't been eating every two hours which is what had me worried.  Its just hard to schedule it all around work.  I know I am still early in this but my weight loss has really tailed off in month two, which once again, I know is normal, but I just really want to make sure I am doing what work best for people.  Trust me, more questions will be coming :)  Have a great weekend.

Gwen M.
on 7/11/14 8:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My plan has me only eating three meals a day.  When I'm not eating, I'm drinking lots of water.  

My NUT okayed 1-2 protein shakes a day for the first 6 months (and I drink 1 a day since there's no way I could get in all of my protein from my teeny meals.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

themexcellentone
on 7/11/14 2:11 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I drink like it's my job.  No lie.  Once I've eaten, I wait 45 minutes to an hour (30 minutes is not enough time for me), and then I'm drinking water or tea until it's time to eat again.  I am able to get down about a gallon of water/tea every day and this is why.

Since you are so early out, I would think that drinking protein drinks could count toward your fluid intake.  When your doc says "don't drink your calories" it is possible he/she means no juices, stuff like that which has lots of sugar, and therefore, lots of calories.

Hang in there...it really does get very much easier to meet both your protein and fluid goals the further out you get.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views