Blood sugar out of whack...anyone else?

Tlove6
on 7/8/14 11:39 pm

Okay, I was pre-diabetic before surgery. Fasting glucose was like 105-106. After 5 days on pre-op diet was down to 94, then 92 when admitted. 

The Dr. has me monitoring my sugars with a meter at home (never did this before surgery, except during pregnancy). 

First few days was 94, then 100 and now it's climbing! Was 118 one day then 122 and this morning was 127!!! 

I requested lab work today and will see my PCP on Tuesday to discuss but WHAT THE HECK?! 

Did this happen to anyone else? I'm pretty annoyed, especially since I am in a stall and haven't lost anything in a week. 

Comments welcome!!

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

Tracy D.
on 7/9/14 12:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

No, this didn't happen to me but it did take awhile for my blood sugars to come back into the normal range after I got home from the hospital.  

I would ask what you are eating/drinking?  Are you doing shakes that have sugar or sugar substitutes in them (most of them at least have a sugar substitute)?  What other liquids are you drinking?  What has your daily carb count been?   Do you take any other medications that could be impacting your blood sugar?  

These are probably all questions your PCP is going to ask too.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

aharris30
on 7/9/14 4:46 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Calm down friend your blood sugar is not out of whack by any means :-) Your numbers will vary depending on what you are eating, drinking, carb intake, or endocrine function. You mention pre-diabetic? What was ur hemoglobin a1c? That is the determinant for diabetes not necessarily a random or fasting glucose test. 

Tlove6
on 7/9/14 5:00 am

Thanks for calming me down. My a1c before surgery was on the border, 5.6 maybe?? 

I haven't had bloodwork done since surgery. 

Its just weird to me that my reading was 127 this morning when it's higher than it's ever been even with gestational d. 

rumpole6
on 7/9/14 6:16 am

Someone will correct me I'm sure, but I believe my surgeon told me that it is a good thing for the sugars to be a little high  post-operatively because it will help healing and they would much rather deal with high sugar problems than low sugars.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

aharris30
on 7/9/14 10:17 am, edited 7/9/14 10:18 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Usually pre and post op we would like to keep patients blood sugars around a low-normal to high-normal range. High blood sugars decrease wound healing. And when I mean high, its a range higher than the original post's numbers. But, we must remember that post op our bodies are adjusting to a new metabolic change and we may find some initial resistance in how we burn energy. Before surgery my blood sugar ranged 90-low 100's and my a1c was just like the poster above. After surgery I struggled to get it out of the 60s. Now its low-mid 70s. I kinda wish mine was higher. I feel like crap when it's low.

Also, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm dismissing the original post concerns. But I treat blood sugars all day long at my job and if they had our numbers it would be such an easier day lol.

Tlove6
on 7/9/14 11:38 am

Cool, thanks for the info! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views