Had VSG on 7/1, home and have questions!

Dunitun
on 7/6/14 7:42 am

I feel like I'm doing really well, I did very good on my preop diet leading up to surgery.

My doctor has me on two weeks of clear liquids then two weeks of full liquids and then following that it's pretty much open to the standard protein diet. I have no problem with any of that and I believe I'll do just fine. 

My my first real question is I am not sure if I've found my limit or any limit eating clear liquids so far, should I be worried about this? Today for lunch I had a very small bowl of broth and while I went from my stomach feeling odd to not feeling odd, I didn't feel any sensation of feeling full or anything. To be honest since the surgery the soreness and slight gas pains have covered that ability up. 

Will i be able to judge my sleeve with clear liquids? I feel like eating broth is no different then driving I've tea or water lol. 

Thank you for your time, I'm sure more questions will come!

pharmagirl_45
on 7/6/14 8:39 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

You won't feel restriction with liquids. Not until you start solid foods will you really feel full.  When I was on liquids, I was only able to get in about 1 oz and sometimes not even that much.

Good luck!

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Sandra J.
on 7/6/14 8:58 am
VSG on 06/05/14

I only felt full with liquids for a few days after surgery. After that, I just get a lot of gas discomfort if I pushed the liquids too much or too fast. 

Sandra Johnson

Sleeved on 6/5/14

Gwen M.
on 7/6/14 9:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Liquids don't trigger the pyloric valve to close, so I never really found a limit with them.  I just sipped and sipped.  Liquids are liquids, in my experience.  

I didn't started to feel restriction until a) my sleeve was fully healed and b) I was eating solid foods.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Dunitun
on 7/6/14 9:52 am

Thank you for the answers! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or pushing myself to far. Tonight for dinner I had some veggie stock strained and I only ate about a 1/3 cup of it because I don't have a sensation of feeling hungry or full. I'm really not sure how much to try lol. 

Your answers definitely helped me know that I'm at least on track, although I cannot wait to get beyond the healing stage and on to solid foods, I miss them lol

Keith L.
on 7/7/14 12:41 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You should never plan on judging how full you are with your stomach again. You should learn to "measure" in whatever way you can be it with a scale or some gauge like using the palm of your hand as a guide for about 4 oz of protein.

Liquids go through your pyloric valve fairly quickly so unless you guzzle down liquid you will rarely feel restriction with liquid. Your stomach will have very little sensation for quite some time so do not look for a "full" feeling as you could hurt yourself.

Also as for your eating plan, sounds good for the 1st 4 weeks. I would suggest adding at least a soft stage before going full food or even a puree'd for a week to 2 weeks followed by soft for a week or 2. The most successful people I have seen on here are the ones that took the longest to get back to full foods.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

happyteacher
on 7/7/14 12:45 am

The nerve is severed- do NOT rely on a feeling of fullness to determine if you stop eating.  You can't feel that right now.  Instead, measure to ensure you are not over doing it.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!