Well I have made my decision....but I need your help!

LeAnn B.
on 6/26/14 12:20 am - OH

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the encouragment on my last post, it gave me so so much to think about. Unfortunatley the insurance that I currently carry has an exclusion for any weight loss procedure. Since I will be picking up my employers health care next year I went ahead and asked HR if our insurance would cover it, however they also have an exclusion.

The surgeon I was referred to by my PCP charges $15000. True, cheaper than a lot of places but far more than I could afford. So I took the advice of some of the comments on my previous post and started to check out Mexico. Specifically Mexicali. Sadley Dr. Aceves did pass this week which sort of worries me (who would be replacing him) but I really have faith in Almater hospital and Dr Aceves' team. I did send Nina a long list of questions that hopefully I can get answered and while I am waiting on a response I will be filling out the surgery application.

I have read reviews, watched YouTube videos and visted websites for Mexicali, Almater and Dr Aceves himself and I am so impressed. To go even further, I asked the pediatric gastroenterologist I work with about his thought on going out of the country for surgery. I knew he would be honest with me and I do trust him, plus he lived in Mexico for a little bit. He said that he really likes Mexicali and as long as the hospital is small and reputable he wouldnt worry about it. He advised Mexicali over Tijauna due to cleanliness. Which I am so glad he told me that.

I looked at the pricing for plane tickets and they arent bad at all right now, and if I can get a surgery scheduled soonish (when they have something available) I would like to have it done in September or October. So I have chosen my dad to go with me. He is assertive and protective and I know that if there happened to be an complications I would trust him to make the right medical decision for me. HOWEVER, papa isnt exactly comfortable with sending his daughter over the border to have a surgery in a hospital hes never been in or with a dr/team we have never met. And I agree, it's a bit scary. So I am working on him. LOL But all and all I am an adult and my decision is to go ahead with the surgery in Mexico. Done. And sure maybe it is a risk, but I would rather take this risk now that live on the sidelines wondering what if and seeing others my age pass me by.

So this is where you guys come in. (I will also be posting in the Mexico Forum) I want to hear about the unexpected things, the complications, the things you wish you has known before your surgery. If you have a horror story, tell me. Also for anyone who had surgery done at Mexicali, if you have pictures or video I would so much appreciate it. I want your absolute honest opinions!! I see so much good (which is really great) but I want to hear the bad too, just in case I encounter some complications. Here is my big concern. Due to religious and personal purposes I do not accept blood transfusions. I know this surgery is not at great risk for needing one but things do happen and I want to make sure that whatever hospital I end up going to, that they have the experience and the technology to handle a bloodless procedure. Also I want the procedure to be done RIGHT. (My mom had a band--slipped--she was involuntarily bulemic for 8 years, had RY conversion and she has had many many problems.)

Thank you all so much for everything, you are the *******so I tried to post an updated picture however it kept telling me that all the pics were too large and I am in no way computer savvy LOL

Jules78
on 6/26/14 1:00 am, edited 6/26/14 1:02 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

That is wonderful news!!  So glad to hear this!  And you are absolutely doing the right thing by researching, asking questions and gathering all the information that you can.  I didn't have my surgery in Mexico but I can imagine the apprehension and fear you must be feeling right now. There are literally thousands of people who have had their surgeries in Mexico that I see on you tube and on this site who seem to be so pleased with their experiences.  I'm so excited for you and truly wish you the best!!

youtube channel- silkiilocks

breathemusic
on 6/26/14 5:31 am

I'd suggest doing a seach on the forum regarding complications.  I know the question has been asked before so there are likely already some threads where people posted things about their own personal experiences with complications.  What I can tell you is that from what I've seen so far most people who have had complications (myself included, had a leak, got sepsis, on TPN for a month) still didn't regret having the surgery.

One thing that you might want to ask those various insurance providers is whether medical expenses due to complications from surgery are covered.  I don't think I've ever seen any comments about that so I honestly have no idea.  If you develop a leak, or some other issue, since it's technically not weight loss surgery anymore, would it be covered?  Or would it not if they determined it was a result of an elective surgery that also wasn't covered?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views