Gaining weight after gastric bypass 10 + years ago

bevsdl
on 5/8/14 4:23 am - Powder Springs, GA

Hi All.  Very glad to have found this web site, Im getting desperate.  I had GB about 10 years ago, lost 130 lbs and felt amazing.  I have had plastic surgery and feel like I had reached my ultimate goal in life.  Felt good and looked wonderful,  lots of compliments and riding high.  I have found in the past 3 years Ive sloowwwly gained about 30 lbs.!!  In the past few weeks Ive torn my calf muscle, (trying to play tennis!!) and I cant do much exercise for about 6 weeks.  Having said that, one of my main concerns is that I don't have much trouble with food any more, I have control, eat well, prepare my own food and a lot of veggies.  In other words, I have a balanced diet and enjoy what I eat, my portions are still very small.  I seem now though, to have substituted alcohol instead.  I know Im taking in far more than I should.  It doesn't affect relationships or work, so I don't feel its alcoholism, but it seems like I have exchanged one addiction or appeasement for another e.g. alcohol for food.  If anyone has advice, help or anything to get me through this I would greatly appreciate it.  Of course the main thing is to get off the desire for the alcohol, its really bothering me right now.  Thanks all.  Bev

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/14 4:41 am

Hi Bev, I am glad you are posting.  I wonder if you realize that this is a VSG forum and it's possible that you will get more responses on the RNY forum.  On the other hand, I would like to take a stab at answering your post even though I had a different surgery.  I think you already know the answer I am going to give you, I could read it in your post.  You know that at least for the time being, you really need to give up alcohol.  Just go cold turkey and stop drinking it completely.  I know someone who did this and lost 15 pounds in three months without making any other change.  I really think you want to do this and are just waiting to be kicked into gear.  Here's the friendly kick.  Hugs and congratulations on ten amazing years.  

pineview01
on 5/8/14 8:16 am - Davison, MI

That is the one big common I have with losing and gaining.  I LOVE wine but it doesn't love my scale and did I say I LOVE it.  Any time I go back to my glass a days, I gain.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bevsdl
on 5/11/14 12:39 pm - Powder Springs, GA

I do appreciate the kick into gear.  I didn't realize it was the VSG page, Ive now posted on the GB page, but haven't had many responses.  But , then again what I had here was very helpful.  We have all lost weight and all achieved so much, I just don't want to go backwards.  Thanks again.

KevinBacon
on 5/8/14 4:56 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I don't have any advice but want to send you big hugs. You will make the right choice when you are ready. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

GingerJen
on 5/8/14 6:22 am
VSG on 03/07/14

It is so great you have recognized this and asked for advice about it.  As someone that has dealt with alcohol addiction, I know that is tough.  Usually when we get to a point of seeing a problem, it is a lot more difficult to quit than we think it would be.  I also know that it can start small and get bad very quickly - especially if it is a way to cope with emotions, etc.  The other thing I can say from experience is that it often does not affect work or relationships for awhile - but it inevitably does..it's just a matter of time.  So it's great you are addressing it now before that time.  If you try to quit and have trouble, PLEASE PLEASE ask for help.  A counselor, friends, AA (which is a great way to live and approach everything including food, emotions, life).  If you need more help, it DOES NOT mean you are weak or a failure--it just means you are smart! Message me if I can be of any help to you.

jen

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

bevsdl
on 5/11/14 12:44 pm - Powder Springs, GA

Hi Ginger  I really appreciate your response.  I have put a lot of thought into it this weekend and I really want to quit the drinking.  I must admit though that is as far as it has got.  I only started this cycle about 4 years ago after dealing with emotional issues in a difficult marriage situation, now it seems to be the monster that has got out of control.  I did try a few AA meetings a few months ago, which I was very impressed with.  I do believe it might be time to go back again.  The hardest part is not to feel like a failure, or weal.  Im learning this process here, and really appreciate the support, so I think messaging you wouold be a great idea.  Thanks again.  As you say you have dealt with alcohol addiction I do believe I need to speak with others who have the overcome it.  I would love to hear how you did it.  Speak soon.  Bev.

GingerJen
on 5/12/14 11:55 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I just sent you a message.  HOpe you are having a good MOnday

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

feels_so_good
on 5/8/14 7:01 am
VSG on 05/20/14

One thought... When examining my eating/drinking, I have difficulty admitting dependency, I could give it up if I wanted to, eat less if I needed to, I am choosing to do this. Well with my limited knowledge, my journey has lead me to realize that I'm justifying my desire vs realizing I have a behavior I don't want to give up.

I also justify my behavior by saying it doesn't affect relationships or work. Yet, in truth it was affecting me. It caused me to gain weight. Changing my drinking changed my relationships and friends. Eating changed my energy level and confidence and imho resulted in discrimination by others in professional and personal relationships. 

Best of luck, glad you shared. If identifying is step 1 and sharing is step 2, your on your way to finding a solution. 

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

TruemansMom
on 5/8/14 7:51 am
VSG on 06/24/13

Bev-so glad you found OH! It is easy for some of us to substiute one addiction for another post surgery. Sometimes people can quit on their own, sometimes they can't. I could not. I found I was drinking less than before surgery- it hits faster after all- but regain is my largest fear in the world (not alcoholism lol) so I found help when I realized those empty calories would lead to regain if I did not stop. The success rate can be good if you get the right kind of help. Your profile does not say where you live, but AA does exist in most places. Some even have woman only groups. We drink for different reasons than men so that can help.

check back in if you need more. People here are really generous with the support!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views