HELP!!!! PRE AND POST WORKOUT SNACKS/MEALS

fat_chance
on 5/1/14 4:06 am - NY

HI!!!! SO IVE BEEN GOING TO THE GYM 3 SOMETIMES FOUR TIMES A WEEK. RUNNING A MILE STRAIGHT @ 4.5MPH AND WALKING 2 MILES @ 3.9 MPH. i THEN DO ARM EXERCISES AND CRUNCHES. PRIOR TO GOING TO THE GYM, I HAVE 2 PIECES OF TURKEY BACON AND A GLASS OF WATER. DURING MY WORK OUT I HAVE 20 OZ OF WATER. POST WORKOUT I USUALLY HAVE A 1.2 CUP OF TRAIL MIX AND 3 MEAT AND CHEESE ROLL UPS. THE SCALE HAS NOT MOVED IN ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF. I AM 7 MONTHS OUT. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????!

carrie054
on 5/1/14 4:11 am

My first thought is that your post workout snack is a lot of food....trail mix is generally very calorie dense and depending on the type, may not give you the most protein bang for your buck.  Have you had your body fat percentage checked recently?  Since you are doing strength training you could well be building muscle.  

What else are you eating during the day?  

VSG on 1/28/14

M1 -24 lbs  M2 -11  M3 -14 M4 -6 lb(total loss:  55)

HW:  297  SW:  279 CW:  224

G5x5
on 5/1/14 4:37 am - VA

The majority of us don't need pre/post workout snacks.  If I remember the formula correctly, you probably don't need to consider snacks unless you're over 1.5 hours of SERIOUS workout.  Even then, it's only a consideration of you're continuing past the 1.5 hours.

I don't want to sound at all critical here, the work you're doing should be applauded; however, the workout you describe above doesn't really fall into a category requiring snack supplements (in my opinion).  So, my advice would be to eliminate them and stick to regular meals.   I do recommend you get all the water you can though.

Not sure what your calorie plan is for the day, but I'll offer this for comparison.  I kept my calories at the 700-800 level regardless of exercise.  I only upped the number once I reached reached the weight I'm at now and my exercise started peaking out.  Now I'm regularly in the 1,200-1,400 range, but my exercise is WAY (way) up there by comparison.  Even with those changes, I still don't snack.  I time my exercise to fall between my four regular meals.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Tracy D.
on 5/1/14 5:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you haven't had a meal in at least 3-4 hours I can understand why you might need a bit of something prior to your workout.  But 1/2 cup of trail mix and 3 meat and cheese rolls-ups post workout isn't a "snack"....that's a meal and way too much carb.  If you're talking about traditional trail mix it is filled with high carbs.  And that's probably sabotaging you a bit.  If you must have something post workout then cut out the trail mix and replace it with 1/2 an apple or a few strawberries and a string cheese. 

Honestly, I applaud your workout efforts but echo what another poster said:  you aren't working out hard enough or long enough to be super-concerned with fueling up pre- and post-workout at this point.  As long as you are getting enough fluid and eating a decent lunch and dinner, you should be good to go.  

Also, when you start going to the gym your muscles will hang on to every drop of water for dear life until they get used to the new routines and aren't sore all the time.  So you may be losing inches and just won't see it on the scale for awhile.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 5/1/14 10:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't eat anything pre-workout, since I feel fine when I don't.  I just make sure to hydrate.  If I stop feeling fine, I have permission from my NUT to eat a small carb like 1/2 a banana.  

Post-workout I just have a regularly scheduled protein-based meal.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

justpete
on 5/1/14 10:03 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

the exercise you describe is great, but this is not the main forcus for losing weight, it's how much total you eat during the day and during the week that makes a difference.  Trail mix is not helpful post workout, too many calories too little protein and slow to digest (its also way way too large of a portion of trail mix!  dont ever eat this imo.)  Here's what i do

1)45 min prior to workout, have a full regular VSG approved meal

2) If you find that you are not energized during your workout, add a coffee or half a fruit right before your workout.  but at these levels you probably dont need it.

3) water during workout is  great

4) immediately after the workout you want to take in fast acting protein and carbs.  Something like milk, or a protein shake.  For really intense or long workouts, maybe add half a fruit or a few dried dates.

thanks it. that will hold you to your next meal ... jsut drink another bottle of water before that to rehydrate.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

danslillady
on 5/1/14 10:26 pm

I have an apple (half)  and pb (1 tbsp)  snack 5 hours before a 4 mile run, 3 hours before dinner (2 oz meat, little veggies). This sustains my 4 miles with energy to spare. If I am running 3 miles or less, I don't need anything bu****er afterwards.  Unless you are hungry, you shouldn't need a snack to sustain your workout since you wouldn't be burning that much calories or energy.

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

fat_chance
on 5/1/14 11:46 pm - NY

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES... I WILL KEEP THESE IN MIND :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views