Vitamin question...

Tina M.
on 4/15/14 3:57 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Did anyone take gummy vitamins post-surgery? I'm wondering if they are difficult to get down and digest... 

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

Scorpio98
on 4/15/14 4:10 am

My surgeon told me to stay away from gummy vitamins because they are hard for the sleeve to digest.  My nut recommended Flintstones for my multivitamin and chewable calcium.

FindingMyWeigh
on 4/15/14 4:42 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I bought powdered multi-vitamins from Bari-Life and also the bariatric Celebrate multi-vitamins in pineapple strawberry flavor off Amazon. Here's a link if you are interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Celebrate-Multivitamin-Chewable-Pineap ple-Strawberry/dp/B003VTEO9A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=13975872 18&sr=8-4&keywords=celebrate+bariatric+chewable

They have other flavors and some with Iron if that is what your surgeon recommends.

At 5.5 months post-op I do use gummy vitamins and have had no problems with them. I started them at about 4 months post op. You may want to check with your surgeon's office if they have a preference in vitamins for you to take.

Colleen 

Jackie T.
on 4/15/14 4:50 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I took them and did not have any problems or issues and they were okayed by my surgeon.  No matter what vitamins you take, make sure you chew them up very well.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Tina M.
on 4/15/14 5:04 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thanks for the feedback. My surgeon did say Flinstones vitamins, but didn't specify gummy/not gummy. I was just curious. I'm going to check out the powdered version too & discuss it with my surgeon. 

cindylou59
on 4/15/14 6:40 am

I got a liquid vitamin supplement from my physical therapist's office. It is much better. I had a difficult time swallowing big before my surgery.

Stay away from the gummy vitamins. In fact, I was told to stay away from any product like that.

I tried the bariatric vitamins my doctor recommended. I noticed I was having a headache. When I read the ingredients I found they are loaded with artificial sweeteners. And so are the children's chewable vitamins. The artificial sweetener chemicals, which are terrible for you, have always caused me to have migraines.  So I immediately stopped taking them.

Jules78
on 4/15/14 6:55 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

My nut specifically ruled out gummies and flintstones as options for vitamins.  She said the gummies have very little actual vitamins or minerals in them and are high in sugar and that flintstones do not have adequate amounts for adults.  I'm taking a gummy B-12 now and love them.  But I will have to follow orders.

Jennifer E.
on 4/15/14 8:20 am

My nut said to make sure I buy flinstone COMPLETE- one in the morning, one at night. All my needs are met.  I take a calcium wafers with vit d and also a sublingual b12.  I hear so many people dread their vitamins but mine aren't bad at all.

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

Tina M.
on 4/15/14 8:51 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thanks everyone! You all gave me a lot of information... I think I'll make sure I have a few different options for my vitamins... It seems that every situation is different. Can't wait to join you all on the loser's bench!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views