4 days post op, whining, venting, questions, worries.

HollyBell
on 3/10/14 12:09 am

Hey guys I am four days post-op and have soooo many questions, worries, anxieties, fears, etc….

1.) Where are your incision sites? Mine seem really low and I even have one in my belly button! The belly button one KILLS and was so not expected.

2.) Painful hiccup/burp CONSTANTLY. It doesn’t matter if it’s water, tea, protein drink, *hiccup* “OW!” *tiny burp*, what is this? When will it stop?

3.) Am I just being a big baby? Oh man, I am still in PAIN. The liquid loratab in the hospital was making my skin itch so now I’m on pill form vicodin, and I swear it feels like I am not on pain meds at all. Is my stomach even capable of breaking down pills at this point? Are they working?

4.) I HATED my post-operative care. I was so upset. It seemed like I was having arguments with the nurses constantly from the moment I woke up in recovery. I am normally really easy going but I felt like I was being treated like an unfeeling unconscious lump of meat from the giddy-up. I guess this isn’t a question, but RAAAWWWR!!!

5.) I have such weird numbness. My posterior, specifically upper left side and surrounding my tailbone is completely numb and has been since surgery. My left knee thigh area is also numb, WTF??

6.) Since pain meds and anesthesia make me very nauseated and zofram doesn’t work for me, I was receiving regular intramuscular shots of phenegran. Intramuscular like jamming the needle deeply into a muscle and then moving it around. I have tender bruises all over my body from this. All over is an exaggeration; all over both of my thighs, hips, upper buttocks, and upper arms. I feel like since I’m not really eating anything these bruises are just lingering. I am no peach; I practically need to get hit by a truck to get a bruise. I suppose I’m just frightened.

7.) Yesterday, my husband brought home a HUGE Sam’s Club box of croissants, my kryptonite. I only glimpsed the brown box, not even the contents, immediate huge tummy rumble coupled with salivation. I thought I wasn’t supposed to be hungry this soon??? Chewing and spitting is looking way more attractive than I ever thought. I actually now understand what I used to consider an oddity.

In summation, I’m MISERABLE. My mother asked me yesterday if I had to do it all over again would I, The most positive thing I could say was “I don’t know.” I am having these horrible thoughts of “What did I do to myself???”

I could really use some answers or positive thoughts or support today. I’m feeling pretty bleak.

Height: 5'9" Age: 30 Highest: 338 Consult: 323 Surgery: 314 Goal: 180 Current: 297

VSG on 03/06/2014

“You'll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do."  - David Foster Wallace

michellebrad
on 3/10/14 12:29 am - Eastlake, OH

First off ((((((hugs)))))))  I know exactly how you feel.  I'm less than 3 weeks post-op.  I promise you, every single day you will get better.  There will be one day when you wake up and will feel great.  My first week post-op was difficult, I won't even lie.  I didn't have much pain other than a horrific headache, but I was on liquid roxicet to help with pain (and sleep!).  I think I had so much anxiety and worries that I couldn't even figure out what direction I was going.  I had some crazy stomach rumbles too for a while, but those have pretty much subsided too.  I think that with the croissants, that could maybe a "head hunger" type thing.. where your brain knows what it is and is creating the feeling of hunger for you... lol.  My guess is that you are NOT hungry... but your body is getting used to everything. 

My incisions are up a little higher than yours and I didn't have one in my bellybutton, but I know how that feels, I had my gallbladder removed and had a bellybutton incision.  I'm guessing that's where they pulled your stomach out, which is probably the most painful incision. 

I'm so sorry your care wasn't up to par.  I had a nurse in the hospital that was a pure idiot.  She was taking my blood pressure, while moving my arm around to get my temperature and pulse ox.  It was SO stupid.  I mean seriously, I even know you can't move your arm when you're checking for bloodpressure!  However, I did have a good experience otherwise.

Just take a few deep breaths, know what you're feeling is temporary and every day that passes, you'll get better. 

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

HollyBell
on 3/12/14 12:52 am

Thank you for replying.  You were right, every single day does get better.  I must have been in a really low point when I wrote this.  I also called the Dr.'s office and he instructed me to double-up my pain meds, and that made a world of difference.

Height: 5'9" Age: 30 Highest: 338 Consult: 323 Surgery: 314 Goal: 180 Current: 297

VSG on 03/06/2014

“You'll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do."  - David Foster Wallace

LoveDove24
on 3/10/14 12:55 am

So sorry that you're having such a hard time, but I promise you it will get better.  When I first got home it sounded like there was a monster living in my tummy.  The rumblings were crazy!!!!! Now at week 3 they have all but subsided. My anxiety level was on 100.  I kept saying, "what did I do to myself", over and over again.

My nurse couldn't find my veins so she just kept jabbing my with that needle and I had a huge bruise on my arm, too.  My incision sites were very sore for the first 2 weeks, and I could hardly turn over in the bed.  I'm still really tired and need to have a nap around 3pm :)

Please do not despair, it's all part of the process.    I know it feels really scary right now, but this part will pass soon.  Stay encouraged!!!!!

HollyBell
on 3/12/14 12:53 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post.  Things have gotten a lot better.  I was just deep in a valley, coming here to vent was a really nice thing to be able to do in a moment of despair.

VSG on 03/06/2014

michellebrad
on 3/12/14 1:41 am - Eastlake, OH

I had two days where my anxiety was through the roof and I was flipping out with everything...  For some reason, I just felt totally anxious and was worried about everything.  After I saw my doc, they reassured me that everything was going along just fine, I felt MUCH better.  I swear, my hormones must have been crazy or something, because I was a wreck...  but it passed :)  I'm glad you're feeling better.  Hang in there!  We're here for ya!

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

56sunShine14
on 3/10/14 1:10 am

HollyBell, I am anxiously awaiting my surgeon appt, hoping for revision.  But I wanted to chime in about your numbness.  It's ok.  When I had my first knee replacement, on day 2 I thought someone had a dart gun with a million needles in it and shot my thigh!  And a lot of numbness, which was the result of the epidural they used for surgery. 

You had injections and I am guessing that is the cause of the numbness.  It may go away very soon if not already or could take some time.  But it goes away.

And I too had those "what did I do to myself" thoughts - for maybe a week.  I mean, I let them cut my knee out!!  But it went away quickly and 5 years later I had the other knee done.  That feeling won't last and may be disapating as you read.

It is all temporary, do not worry. 

HollyBell
on 3/12/14 12:57 am

Thanks for replying to me.  My posterior has started to wake up, and now I wi**** hadn't, ow!! :) My leg is still asleep, if it hasn't resolved itself by the time my follow-up rolls around I'm definitely going to talk to the surgeon about it.  I am also suspecting that perhaps I have abdominal swelling that has impinged on some related nerve. I'm no doctor, but it seems reasonable?

VSG on 03/06/2014

56sunShine14
on 3/12/14 6:37 am

Ah, could be because they put gas in your abdomen during surgery so they can see everything.

But yes, always ask your doc.  It's all short term.

Good luck.

Sandy M.
on 3/10/14 1:28 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Hugs.  By day 10 you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

1. Be glad your incisions are low - easier to cover up when you start wearing a bikini 

2. The hiccup/burping is sign that you're going too fast or too much at one time.  It gets better, but be glad you have such a clear signal.

3 and 6.  Pain meds have side effects.  Tough love here - is what you're feeling real pain, or is it discomfort?  See if you can switch to liquid Tylenol, and walk, walk, walk to clear the gas, which is probably the biggest source of your discomfort.  Staying on pain meds for long can result in constipation, which trust me, you want to avoid.  

7. At this stage, your mind is still going to have its cravings - we call it "head hunger".  Ask your husband to cooperate - this is hard enough without him bringing home crap.  If he must eat them, have him bring them to the office instead.  The mental work you need to do is harder than the surgery, trust me.

In a couple of days the worst will be behind you, and the real work begins.  Hang in there - it really does get better!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views